WVU scores 29 straight vs Texas Tech
WVU scores 29 unanswered points in the 2nd half to take down Texas Tech.
Our Big 12 Week 7 power rankings:
1. TCU (previous ranking: 1): The Horned Frogs cruised through two weather delays and a desperate team in Kansas State to a convincing 26-6 victory in Manhattan. At 3-0 in conference play, TCU now sits all alone atop the Big 12 standings. And after a weekend of upsets elsewhere, they're on the inside of the College Football Playoff conversation.
2. Oklahoma (2): The Sooners blew another big lead. And once again, the offense disappeared for much of the second half. But Oklahoma came up with the plays it needed down the stretch to hold off Texas, 29-24. Style points have always been overrated in the Red River Showdown, anyway.
3. Oklahoma State (3): Oklahoma State's defining three-game stretch has arrived. At Texas. At West Virginia. And then the Bedlam biggie. At the end of it, the Cowboys will either be well on their way to the Big 12 title game or firmly out of it.
4. West Virginia (5): After a hard-fought loss at TCU, West Virginia's season was about to turn for the worse, trailing Texas Tech 35-17 in the second half. Then Will Grier and David Sills took over, and West Virginia's defense came up with three consecutive three-and-outs, fueling a 46-35 come-from-behind win. As a result, the Mountaineers remain on the fringe of the Big 12 title-game picture.
5. Texas Longhorns (4): Through losses to Oklahoma and USC, the Longhorns appear to have uncovered what they've long been searching for the last eight years -- a viable replacement for Colt McCoy. After going toe-to-toe with Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold, Sam Ehlinger has the look of Texas' QB of the future.
6. Texas Tech (6): When they left Morgantown, the Red Raiders had to be kicking themselves for the opportunity they let escape from them. Even though they fell apart late, the Red Raiders have demonstrated they have a quality team. They just can't allow what happened at West Virginia to cause a spiral.
7. Iowa State (7): The Joel Lanning/Kyle Kempt show delivered another win, this time a 45-0 rout of Kansas. The Cyclones are just two wins from their preseason goal of reaching bowl eligibility. What's even more remarkable is that Iowa State is not all that far away from being 6-0 right now. What a season it's been for Matt Campbell and his bunch.
8. Kansas State (8): This season is quickly turning into a disaster for the Wildcats, who simply don't have enough offense, no matter who is behind center. Bill Snyder teams almost always have exceeded preseason expectations. Without a dramatic reversal, this one seems destined to fall well below them.
9. Baylor (9): The Bears had been hanging tough in Big 12 play. Oklahoma State just had too much firepower in its 59-16 win. The one silver lining out of Stillwater is that Terence Williams looked liked his old self despite an ailing shoulder, rushing for 95 yards after spending the first half of the season either injured or in Matt Rhule's doghouse.
10. Kansas Jayhawks (10): The Jayhawks were completely outclassed by Iowa State, underscoring just how dramatic the gap between Kansas and the rest of the Big 12 still is.