GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- It’s Florida-Georgia week, which means it’s time to take a look back at the annual series between the two Southeastern Conference rivals.
Each day this week, GatorNation will have a top five list that captures the colorful history of the series.
Top 5 Players in Florida-Georgia history
1. Georgia RB Herschel Walker: Walker rushed for 649 yards and six touchdowns from 1980-82. He had 53 touches in the 1981 game (47 rushes, four catches, two kick returns) and averaged 39 carries in his three games against the Gators.
2. Georgia RB/QB Charlie Trippi: Trippi rushed for 412 yards, threw for 198, and accounted for 10 touchdowns in three games against the Gators. He threw for two touchdowns (on only three pass attempts) and ran for two more in the 1942 game. He also ran for 239 yards in the 1945 game, which at the time was the SEC single-game record.
3. Florida QB Shane Matthews: Matthews threw for 948 yards and nine touchdowns in three games against the Bulldogs. He didn’t throw an interception.
4. Florida QB Danny Wuerffel: Wuerffel threw for 730 yards and a series-record 11 touchdowns in four games (three starts) against Georgia. Wuerffel threw five of those TD passes in UF’s 52-17 victory in 1995.
5. Georgia RB/DB Frank Sinkwich: Sinkwich ran for 142 yards and two touchdowns and kicked a 20-yard field goal in a 19-3 victory in 1941. Modest stats, right? Well, he'd played with a broken jaw.