BATON ROUGE, La. -- Our weekly look at the top 10 LSU performers this season up to this point:
1. DE Sam Montgomery: His two sacks against home-state South Carolina gave him a team-leading four for the season. He also has a team-high 8.5 tackles for loss.
2. LB Kevin Minter: Had nine tackles against South Carolina to give him a team-high 63 and has registered stats in six other defensive categories, tied for the most on the team.
3. FS Eric Reid: Picked up his second interception of the season at a key moment in the fourth quarter and has a team-high five passes defended to go with 39 tackles (third on the team).
4. LT Josh Dworaczyk: We know now that he was benched for two games because of a knee problem. But when the sixth-year senior is in games and healthy, LSU's offense has been good and the offensive line executes. Think South Carolina. Think Washington.
5. LB Lamin Barrow: Has a running bet with Minter on who will finish with the most tackles and he did great playing catchup against USC with a team-high 12 tackles, giving him 51 on the season.
6. CB Tharold Simon: LSU has 20 sacks, so the defensive line gets glory, but a lot of it is because quarterbacks can't find open receivers. Simon is the top corner in a group that has allowed opponents to throw for just 130 yards per game.
7. DE Barkevious Mingo: Got just his second sack against South Carolina and has a team-high eight quarterback hurries. Quarterbacks have escaped him, but they have been on the run.
8. DT Anthony Johnson: Despite only getting one tackle against the Gamecocks, he's still LSU's most active defensive lineman with 23 tackles, seven for loss.
9. RB Spencer Ware: This takes some projecting. Ware lined up at QB Saturday, a preview of a wrinkle that might become prominent. Already a hard runner and both a good pass receiver and pass blocker, Ware's role in the offense is increasing.
10. RB Michael Ford: With the special teams struggling, Ford gave it a lift with two kick returns for 59 yards. He's averaging 29.3 yards a return. In the crowded Tigers backfield, he's also the guy they want to get around the edge of a defense.