Every Thursday, SoonerNation releases the Sooner Intel, a sneak peek inside Oklahoma Sooners football recruiting with news and notes on the latest happenings around the program. Talk about it on our forum. A few things discussed in this week's update:
• One of Oklahoma's quarterback targets will be getting evaluated tomorrow.
• Will the Sooners' add commit No. 5 in the next few days?
• A Florida defensive end has a special connection to a former OU assistant coach.
• One of OU's latest offers was offered by Mike Stoops and Arizona as a sophomore.
• A 2014 defensive back prospect has OU in his top two.
Read the Sooner Intel after the jump.
Race for QB offer continues
The Oklahoma coaches have been out in full force this week for the spring evaluation period. But one spot that has been rather calm has been at quarterback. OU quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel already has let it be known he won’t make any decision until he sees his three targets in person.
First up will be Brayden Scott (Tahlequah, Okla./Sequoyah) and that evaluation is scheduled for tomorrow. The evaluation for Kelly Hilinski (Sherman Oaks, Calif./Notre Dame) will happen in early May although no date has been finalized. The final one is going to be with Cody Thomas (Colleyville, Texas/Heritage). Because of Thomas’ time on the baseball field this spring, he will be the last one to visit with the OU assistant coach.
And in the eyes of his coach, Thomas might also be the perfect fit for the Sooners.
“He is a very good athlete,” Colleyville Heritage coach Mike Fuller said. “You see that with how easy he can play baseball or do track and field to go with being our quarterback. He has the perfect demeanor for a quarterback.”