But at this point, it appears to be merely a matter of days for the Ohio State veterans.
Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer initially suspended them both indefinitely for their offseason arrests in June before stripping them of their scholarships, making them work out separately from the team and also placing stipulations they had to meet before receiving full clearance to rejoin the program. Both Stoneburner and Mewhort are apparently on track to return, though Meyer won’t be marking it down as a done deal until next week.
“I anticipate it,” Meyer said during an interview session at Big Ten media days on Thursday. “But it’s obviously eight days away.
“If they continue, if they fulfill their community service and a variety of things I’m not going to list [they will be cleared]. There are a variety of things they’ve done and they have to continue to do that. If it continues as is, they will report next Friday.”
When practice opens, though, the Buckeyes aren’t likely to be joined by Storm Klein after the senior linebacker’s dismissal earlier this month following charges of domestic violence and assault.
Meyer seemed to leave the door open for the 10-game starter last season by indicating that his status could be reevaluated if there is a change in his legal situation, and he stressed that was still the case as the Buckeyes prepare to enter training camp. But Klein is not listed on the current roster and doesn’t appear to have a clear path to get back on the field, unlike Stoneburner and Mewhort.
“Storm has a good reputation, good grades, good student, good guy,” Meyer said. “He made a severe violation, and from Day 1, my first meeting was very clear about what we expect.
“It’s non-negotiable, and he knew it, he understood it.”
The expectations were clearly defined for Mewhort and Stoneburner as well.
And while they have met them all so far, they still have another week to go before there is an official change in their status.