With Tyquan Lewis (Tarboro, N.C./Tarboro) committing to Ohio State on Thursday, there are four -- maybe five -- spots left in the 2013 recruiting class. Here’s a look at five recruits very much in the crosshairs for Ohio State:
1. WR Shelton Gibson (Cleveland Heights, Ohio/Cleveland Heights): It is clear Gibson wants the Buckeyes as he’s planning to make the second of three unofficial visits this week with his official coming Nov. 24 for the Michigan game.
Gut feeling: Gibson should be a Buckeye soon.
2. OLB Mike Mitchell (Plano, Texas/Prestonwood Christian): He has been to Oklahoma and is planning official visits to Oregon and Ohio State. The Buckeyes are still very much in the running for the SPARQ national champion.
Gut feeling: Once considered a sure thing, Mitchell isn’t a question mark … yet.
3. S Vonn Bell (Rossville, Ga./Ridgeland): Ohio State’s chance to impress comes Oct. 6 when the four-star safety takes in the Nebraska game. He’s down to Alabama, Tennessee and the Buckeyes.
Gut feeling: This is a two-way love affair. Tennessee might be the obstacle.
4. OT Dorian Johnson (Belle Vernon, Pa./Belle Vernon): The offensive tackle has said Pitt is his No. 1 choice, with Ohio State and Virginia Tech falling in line behind the Panthers. The Buckeyes’ time to shine will be Oct. 6 with Johnson scheduled to come to town with his family.
Gut feeling: It’ll take some doing, but Johnson can be swayed to Columbus.
5. WR James Quick (Louisville/Trinity): Quick still likes the Buckeyes. Ohio State still likes him. Midwest recruiting writer Jared Shanker will find out more Friday when he travels to Indiana to see Quick play.
Gut feeling: He doesn’t talk much to media, so it’s hard to gauge where he’s at.