Trent Gow taking wait-and-see approach

Mansfield (Texas) tight end Trent Gow made it down to Austin for the first time since Texas’ spring game and felt like he really made an impression among the 10 other tight ends at camp.

“Today we didn’t do too much blocking. We did a lot of route running and 1-on-1s,” he said. “I did really good at both of them. Just getting in and out of my cuts and being smooth with my routes, I thought I did really well.”

The Longhorns already have a commitment from one tight end in Durham Smythe (Belton, Texas/Belton) but could possibly take another in 2013. Gow would like to be that guy. He attended Texas’ junior day, was at its spring game and now a camp so his interest is clear. He’s just hoping for similar interest from the Longhorns.

“I am supposed to hear back from Coach [Bruce] Chambers in a couple of weeks. So that was good to hear,” Gow said. “I also had small talk with Coach [Major] Applewhite, Coach [Bryan] Harsin and Coach [Mack] Brown too since I hadn’t seen them since the spring game.

Gow said that the routine was pretty similar to that of junior day, which included a tour of the facilities, and that he was pleased with how intense things got between the other tight ends.

In camps oozing with talent like Texas and LSU’s, which he was at last week, Gow said the most important thing to do is stay within oneself.

“It gets intense but it is more competing with myself than other people because I have been told that I can play there and that it is more of a numbers game,” he said. “Obviously, you compete with other people but it’s more with myself.

“There is a lot better competition at Texas’ and LSU’s camps. You have to step your game up and compete a lot harder than you would at someplace like Tulsa or even Iowa State. There is good competition there but it doesn’t compare to Texas and LSU. You just have to go there and try your best. I really stepped it up today. I thought I did really good today.”

Gow will now take a wait-and-see approach to gauge Texas’ interest level. In the meantime he’ll head up to Air Force on June 20 for a junior day and a camp. The Falcons offered Gow a few weeks ago.

If schools like Texas and LSU continue to show interest then he will gladly wait for an offer. If not then he will have to make a decision to go somewhere else.

“It just depends on their level of interest in what they are telling me,” he said. “If they are telling me that we will surely offer at a certain point hen I will wait. But if I have a school like Tulsa and Iowa State and they offer in the summer, and LSU or Texas isn’t sure then I will probably end up committing to one of those schools in that scenario.”