A look at Super Two status

We spent plenty of time over the last few months speculating when teams would call up their top prospects while keeping their “Super Two” arbitration status in mind.

The top 22 percent of players with the most major-league service time between two and three years will become eligible for salary arbitration after the 2015 season. The other 78 percent won't be eligible for arbitration until after the 2016 season.

The difference could mean millions of dollars, which was one of the reasons the New York Mets pushed back the debut of Zack Wheeler and the Pittsburgh Pirates did the same with Gerrit Cole.

Other teams are less concerned with higher-valued rookies, feeling the benefit received right now will be the worth the potential cost down the road. Here is an early guess on players who may be early favorites for Super Two status following the 2015 season:

Didi Gregorius, SS, Arizona Diamondbacks

After a brief stint with the Reds last September, Gregorius has been a regular since homering in his first game for the D-backs in mid-April.

Aaron Hicks, OF, Minnesota Twins

Hicks got off to a brutal start (.113), but was hitting a respectable .280 in June before landing on the disabled list.

Jedd Gyorko, 2B, San Diego Padres

Played briefly at third base before settling in as the regular second baseman. His .284 average is one reason the Padres are a pleasant surprise in the NL West, although he is currently on the disabled list.

Marcell Ozuna, RF, Miami Marlins

Made a big early impression filling in for the injured Giancarlo Stanton, sliding over from right to center field once Stanton returned.

Jose Fernandez, RHP, Miami Marlins

At 20 years and 250 days, Fernandez was the third youngest player in Marlins history when he made his debut, behind only Miguel Cabrera and Stanton.