WR Malcom Floyd's 2013 campaign ended in Week 2 when he suffered a scary neck injury. He did not require surgery to repair the damage and is making progress in his rehablitition.
"The Chargers wide receiver continues to make small steps in his recovery from a neck injury suffered last September," wrote Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune. "The 32-year-old resumed running about a month ago, he said Saturday, and spinal specialist Dr. Robert Watkins cleared him last week to participate in light weightlifting."
Despite his improving health, his future in the NFL remains entirely up in the air. Whether he plays in '14 will depend not just on the status of his neck but the risk of further injuring himself on the field. Floyd has to consider life off of the field, too, as he has three young children.
"You don't realize it until you're actually unable to play with your kids, and you're like, 'Man, I cannot wait,'" Floyd said. "I'm here. I can at least do that with them and run again. That was very satisfying that I was able to start running again."
We may not have a good read on whether Floyd will play this season until training camp or even later.