Russian junior welterweight contender Ivan "The Beast" Baranchyk still has a world title elimination fight on tap, but he will have a different opponent than originally planned.
Baranchyk will square off with countryman Petr Petrov instead of Anthony Yigit on Friday (Showtime, 10 p.m. ET/PT) at the Deadwood Mountain Grand in Deadwood, South Dakota, promoter Lou DiBella announced on Tuesday.
Yigit (21-0-1, 17 KOs), 26, of Sweden, withdrew last week, citing illness, and Petrov accepted the fight. The winner will move a step closer to becoming the mandatory challenger for the winner of the Showtime main event on Saturday night between 140-pound world titlist Sergey Lipinets and lightweight titleholder Mikey Garcia.
Baranchyk (17-0, 10 KOs), 25, is known for his brawling, all-action style -- as is Petrov (38-5-2, 19 KOs), 34, who fights out of Spain and won the 2014 ESPN Boxcino tournament.
Petrov has had two world title opportunities but lost both times, by fourth-round knockout in a junior welterweight title fight to Marcos Maidana in Argentina in 2011 and by lopsided decision challenging Terry Flanagan for a lightweight belt in England in his last fight 11 months ago.
"Baranchyk and Petrov are both known for their all-action styles and are never in a bad fight. It is a tremendous addition to this card, and I'm thrilled we were able to put the bout together on short notice," DiBella said. "The fact that Petr was training for another fight once again made it possible to create a superior fight under difficult circumstances."
DiBella also had to contend with a change to the main event last month. That is when former junior welterweight world titlist Viktor Postol (29-1, 12 KOs), of Ukraine, fractured his thumb, which knocked him out of a fight with Regis Prograis (20-0, 17 KOs), of Houston, for a vacant interim 140-pound belt.
DiBella had recently signed former unified world titlist Julius Indongo (22-1, 11 KOs), of Namibia, the next leading available contender, and he stepped in to face Prograis.
The opening bout of the tripleheader will pit heavyweight prospect Junior Fa (13-0, 8 KOs), 28, of New Zealand, against Craig Lewis (14-1-1, 8 KOs), 33, of Detroit, in an eight-rounder.
Fa made an impressive American television debut in November when he drilled Fred Latham in the first round on Showtime's "ShoBox: The New Generation."
"Junior Fa made a huge statement in his last appearance on Showtime, and he'll look to keep that momentum going this Friday," said DiBella, noting that Fa has a pair of amateur victories reigning world titleholder and countryman Joseph Parker.