Boxing superstar Canelo Alvarez is envisioning a return to the ring in September -- provided COVID-19 conditions allow it -- though he refrained from mentioning potential challengers.
"In my mind, I'm fighting in September," Alvarez told Mexican TV program Box Azteca. "Hopefully all of this will pass and that date will still be possible."
Alvarez (53-1-2, 36 KOs) said he has been training at his gym despite restrictions while part of his team -- including trainer Eddy Reynoso -- remains at home.
"Right now, everything is on standby," Alvarez said. "There's nothing going on, nothing discussed -- not even about when the next fight is going to be -- because of the situation. They say there won't be any fights until after July, so we're waiting, since everything is backtracked because of people who don't follow or believe in rules."
The reigning middleweight world champion, who also holds a secondary super middleweight title, has won belts in four weight classes, including light heavyweight after he scored an 11th-round knockout of Sergey Kovalev in his most recent fight in November. Alvarez is dropping to super middleweight, where he has only fought once.
Gennady Golovkin or Billy Joe Saunders are possible rivals at that class for Alvarez, who is considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.
Alvarez and Golovkin have faced each other in two controversial bouts, with one resulting in a draw and the other a win for Alvarez. The fighters had agreed to meet a third time, but Golovkin's trainer, Johnathon Banks, told iFL TV this week that they wouldn't seek a September fight against Alvarez since GGG first plans a mandatory IBF middleweight title defense against Kamil Szeremeta.
That could open the door to a bout with Britain's Saunders (29-0, 14 KOs). That fight had been scheduled for May 2 in Las Vegas before the coronavirus pandemic shut down the sports world. However, the British Boxing Board of Control suspended Saunders' license last month over a social media post in which he claimed to demonstrate ways men could abuse their wives. Saunders later apologized for posting the video.
"I don't really know what's next," Alvarez said. "Everything is shut down, so I don't know. We had a good plan for 2020, but unfortunately this happened. We had really big plans, and hopefully in July or a month afterward, we'll see positive results with this situation. We'll see what happens."
Alvarez also ranted about promoters whose fighters challenge him publicly then ask for large paydays that he says they have not earned.
"It's been one of the biggest issues. People scream and shout that I'm afraid to face them, but at the end, when we're in negotiations, the first thing they seek is a very big amount, more than they've ever earned," Alvarez said. "It doesn't make sense. Instead of seeking glory, they look for money. That's fine, but don't exaggerate."