By this time Saturday, the ritual of Championship Week will be in full swing. Automatic bids will be on the table, a handful of regular-season crowns will be determined and conference tournament paths will be set for both bubble teams and the potential No. 1 seeds.
In other words, it will be time for serious analysis here in the Bracket Bunker. No fun and games allowed. In the meantime, we can't help but offer a few tongue-in-cheek observations to help ease the tension. This is the annual "leaders and losers" column (subtitled, "Scott Drew has texted me only once so far today ...").
It's all in good fun, Scott, and the same goes for the rest of you ...
Hot to trot
By my count, seven teams hit the head of the stretch riding winning streaks of a dozen games or more. Bet against the following at your own risk.
• Wichita State Shockers (31 straight wins, last loss April 6 versus Louisville, 2013 Final Four)
• Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (24 straight wins, last loss Nov. 23 at East Tennessee State)
• Florida Gators (22 straight wins, last loss Dec. 2 at Connecticut)
• North Carolina Central Eagles (16 straight wins, last loss Jan. 11 at Florida A&M)
• Virginia Cavaliers (13 straight wins, last loss Jan. 13 at Duke)
• North Carolina Tar Heels (12 straight wins, last loss Jan. 20 at Virginia)
• Davidson Wildcats (12 straight wins, last loss Jan. 16 versus Elon)
For what it's worth, I can't ever recall this many teams with such long winning streaks heading into Championship Week. We're talking 130-0 here, folks.