The NBL will finalise its schedule by December 3 for a full home-and-away season to be contested in front of crowds as it commits to a mid-January start.
Fans were able to attend two pre-season games between the Brisbane Bullets and the Adelaide 36ers on the weekend, their successful staging allowing officials to push ahead with tip-off plans.
"It's our time and it's great to be in a position to be able to return to playing basketball during what have been challenging times for everyone and when people need sport and entertainment in their lives," NBL owner Larry Kestelman said.
The NBL season usually starts in October, after the conclusion of the AFL and NRL seasons, and had already been pushed back to December.
The WNBL relaunched as a six-week season in Mackay, Townsville and Cairns with players and officials in biosecure bubbles.
However, the recent COVID-19 outbreak in Adelaide has forced the Lightning into a week of quarantine, with their Tuesday game postponed and WNBL assessing its options.
Kestelman acknowledged the likelihood of similar hurdles for the NBL but said his intention was to play a full campaign "in front of as many fans as possible".
"We understand there will be challenges as there has been for all sports and we will need to manage these appropriately," he said. Players are set to take drastic pay cuts next season, while the number of import spots has been reduced by one to two per team.