Melbourne Storm equal longest winning streak in NRL history

Melbourne have equalled the longest winning streak in first grade rugby league history, defeating Gold Coast 34-20 to claim their 19th straight NRL victory.

Trailing 16-12 at halftime at CBUS Super Stadium, Storm superstar Cameron Munster took control of the match in the second half as the premiers charged to a 14-point win.

Munster not only scored one but directed the Storm attack throughout the second term as they matched the 1975 Sydney Roosters premiership-winning team's all-time winning run.

"Nineteen in a row, that's hard to do in any year I'd imagine but certainly the year that we're in now," Storm coach Craig Bellamy said.

"I'm really proud of the playing group, what they've done.

"It hasn't been pretty at times without a doubt but that's how footy goes. There's ups and there's downs ... to be able to win 19 games, especially in the situation and circumstances we're in, as I said, I'm really proud of this group."

Having opted to rest several key players, Melbourne didn't look like winners when they were jumped at the start by a Titans team desperate to stay in the top eight.

Despite the absences of Moeaki Fotuaika (knee) and AJ Brimson (jaw), it was the hosts who raced to a 10-0 lead inside the opening 15 minutes.

Young gun Jayden Campbell and Greg Marzhew were the scorers before the Titans struck back when Ryan Papenhuyzen and Josh Addo-Carr combined to send Marion Seve over untouched in the 23rd minute.

The Storm hit the front just minutes later when Harry Grant barged over from close range but the Titans weren't done.

Campbell outjumped Munster to snare an Ash Taylor kick and score his second, the Storm heading into the sheds trailing for the first time since their round eight clash with Cronulla.

Just as they did on that occasion when they charged to a 40-14 win over the Sharks, the Storm stepped up a gear in the second half with Munster, Nicho Hynes and an Addo-Carr double blasting the Titans away.

Tyrone Peachey secured a late consolation for the Titans but the game was long over at that stage.

"Really good first half and then not good enough in the second half," Titans coach Justin Holbrook said.

"That's the difference against the really good sides, you can't afford to have a rest or take a break because they ready to punish you, and that's what they did to us."

The only sour note for the Storm was a recurrence of a knee injury to George Jennings late in the first half which may bring his season to a premature end.

The Titans also had an injury concern with co-captain Kevin Proctor playing just eight minutes before coming off the field with a left shoulder issue.

Titans' five-eighth Ash Taylor was also placed on report in the second half for appearing to drop a knee on Hynes as the Storm halfback attempted to get up to play the ball.

Melbourne can eclipse the Roosters' record next weekend when they face Parramatta while Gold Coast simply have to return to winning ways against Newcastle to keep their finals dream alive.