In-form Brisbane Roar end Sydney FC's run in W-League

Matildas stars Tameka Yallop and Clare Polkinghorne both found the back of the net as Brisbane Roar ended Sydney FC's perfect start to the W-League season in emphatic fashion.

The Roar claimed an impressive 4-1 win at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday to move within two points of the table-topping Sky Blues with their fourth victory in a row.

- W-League on ESPN+: Stream LIVE games and replays (U.S. only)

The defeat ends Sydney's 100% record and came after having conceded just one goal in their previous seven matches.

Second-placed Brisbane are now the only unbeaten team in the league having started their season with four consecutive draws.

The Roar took an early lead in eighth minute when Matildas winger Emily Gielnik found space down the left and played a pinpoint cross to Yallop, who nodded home at the back post.

Brisbane's lead lasted three minutes before a defensive mix-up let Sydney level the scores. Roar goalkeeper Morgan Aquino's clearance was blocked by Clare Wheeler, with the deflection taking the ball into the empty net.

Just two minutes later however another error, by Sydney goalkeeper Jada Whyman, allowed the Roar to hit the front again. Whyman spilt a cross by Brazilian winger Mariel Hecher and Jamilla Rankin was on the spot to tap the ball home.

The Roar extended their lead after the break when experienced defender Polkinghorne powered home a header from a corner in the 54th minute.

The win was wrapped up in the 82nd minute when Whyman had another moment to forget, fumbling a cross by Rankin into her own goal.

In Sunday's later game, Adelaide United moved above Canberra United and up to third in the table by beating them 2-1.

Chelsie Dawber opened the scoring for the Reds after 11 minutes, only for Paige Satchell to level for the capital club in first-half stoppage time.

But Emily Condon struck 10 minutes after half-time to seal the win for the home side and leapfrog their opponents.

Meanwhile Saturday's game between Newcastle Jets and Melbourne City was postponed following the announcement of Victoria's five-day COVID lockdown on Friday while Adelaide and third-placed Canberra are facing off in Sunday's late game.