<
>

LIVE Transfer Talk: PSG look to sign Canada striker Jonathan David from rivals Lille

play
Could Mbappe stay with PSG for one more year? (0:54)

Gab Marcotti and Julien Laurens discuss Kylian Mbappe's chances of staying at PSG beyond the end of this season. (0:54)

The 2022 January transfer window is open (find out when it closes here), and there's plenty of gossip swirling about who's moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!

TOP STORY: PSG eye Lille striker David

Paris Saint-Germain are interested in Lille forward Jonathan David, reports Calciomercato.

The 22-year-old has been linked with a number of top European clubs, with Les Parisiens said to be the latest. David could join an elite frontline that includes Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe, Angel Di Maria and Mauro Icardi.

The Canada international has impressed at Lille, winning the Ligue 1 title at the club last season against all the odds, given the strength of the PSG side. This season, he has continued his fine form, almost matching last season's goal tally already. Last season, David netted a total of 13 goals in Ligue 1 in 37 appearances, whilst this season so far, he has scored 12 goals in 21 appearances.

David's international record speaks for itself too, scoring 18 goals in 24 appearances for Canada on the international stage.

He could be a key figure come the end of the month, given the nation's crunch match with the United States in World Cup qualifying. Canada currently sits top of the CONCACAF standings, with the U.S. and Mexico just behind in second and third.

- Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
- Don't have ESPN? Get instant access

LIVE BLOG

17.48 GMT: The LA Galaxy are in pursuit of Brazil international midfielder Douglas Costa, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jeff Carlisle and Gustavo Berton.

Costa, 31, had been on loan at Gremio from Italian giants Juventus. But following Gremio's relegation to Serie B last month, the club is facing a significant cut to its finances, and Costa is close to terminating his loan.

One source said that negotiations between Costa and the Galaxy were "moving along" but not done yet. The Galaxy are in need of bolstering their midfield following the offseason departures of Jonathan dos Santos to Club America and Sebastian Lletget via a trade to the New England Revolution, even after they acquired Marky Delgado from Toronto FC earlier on Friday.

Costa has played for some of the world's biggest clubs. In addition to his time at Juve, he had two separate stints with Bayern Munich. He began his pro career with Gremio in 2008 before securing a move to Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk in 2010.

17.11 GMT: Marca has linked six young players with Real Madrid -- Jude Bellingham, Aurelien Tchouameni, Florian Wirtz, Endrick, Ryan Gravenberch and Wesley Fofana -- on its front page on Saturday as the club maintain their policy of looking to snap up the best up-and-coming talent.

All six players, aged between 15 and 21, are "on Madrid's radar" according to the newspaper, with a priority being an alternative to Casemiro in defensive midfield.

Monaco's Tchouameni, 21, is the favourite in that position, Marca reports, with Borussia Dortmund's Bellingham, 18, another option.

Ajax's Gravenberch, 19, is out of contract in 2023, while Bayer Leverkusen's Wirtz, 18, is a more attack-minded player.

Fofana, 21, could be a target as a back-up centre-back, the newspaper says, although he's currently a long-term absentee for Leicester after suffering a broken leg last August.

Meanwhile Madrid are one of a host of clubs tracking latest Brazilian wonder-kid Endrick, who's just 15 and already starring for Palmeiras.

16.29 GMT: Fiorentina striker Dusan Vlahovic has surprisingly been left out of the matchday squad for Sunday's Serie A match against Cagliari.

Vlahovic, 21, has become one of Europe's most sought-after strikers, as many as eight of the continent's leading clubs interested in the Serbia international (see 10.57 GMT).

There had previously been no indication from Fiorentina coach Vincenzo Italiano or the club that Vlahovic, who has scored 20 goals in 24 games for Fiorentina so far this season, would be left out for the trip to Sardinia.

15.53 GMT: Anthony Martial and Eric Bailly are concerned they are being priced out of loan moves away from Manchester United in the January transfer window, sources told ESPN's Rob Dawson.

Martial and Bailly are open to leaving the club this month in the hope of finding more regular first-team football elsewhere but the pair are not convinced deals will materialise.

United are only considering loan offers for first-team players which include a guarantee that all their wages will be covered and a loan fee.

Sevilla have already had a bid from Martial knocked back while Juventus would need United to drop their demands before firming up their interest in the Frenchman. AC Milan have expressed interest in signing Bailly until the end of the season but do not have the money available to match United's conditions.

Sources told ESPN that interim manager Ralf Rangnick's preference is to keep the bulk of his squad together until the end of the season, in part because of the continued possibility of losing players due to COVID-19.

15.08 GMT: England and Manchester City's Jill Scott is close to a move to Aston Villa, the Daily Telegraph reports.

The veteran midfielder wants to get more playing time ahead of this summer's European Championship, which is being held in England.

A number of clubs are interested in the 34-year-old but Aston Villa are reported to be in the lead.

Scott has been with City for eight years but spend part of last season on loan at Everton.

She has played at two Olympic Games and made 153 appearances for England, and has also been in the squad the three times they made the semifinals of major tournaments.

14.32 GMT: Ousmane Dembele has not closed the door to a new contract with Barcelona, according to Mundo Deportivo.

The France forward has been told he must leave the club before the end of the month after failing to agree a new contract at the Camp Nou, with just six months to run on his deal.

According to Barcelona, Dembele's camp has turned down several offers during six months of negotiations and that the club's understanding is that the player does not intend to sign new terms.

Mundo Deportivo reports that Dembele's agent, Moussa Sissoko, will travel to Barcelona this week to meet the player and the club.

Moreover, Dembele is reportedly surprised by the change of attitude from Xavi with respect to the player. Xavi left Dembele out of the squad for Thursday's 3-2 Copa loss at Athletic Bilbao, despite having told the player that regardless of his contract situation, he would play him.

Speaking in a news conference on Saturday, Xavi did not reveal whether Dembele will be included in the squad for Sunday's league game at Alaves but did say the player's situation remains the same.

"There's no debate," Xavi said. "I've been very clear. It depends on him. Ousmane's situation hasn't changed. He knows perfectly well what his situation is.

"He is calm, he is training well and he is part of our training group. There are still days left [in the transfer window] but there's no alternative."

13.48 GMT: Liverpool, along with Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, are the front-runners to land Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria this month, sources told ESPN's Sam Marsden and Moises Llorens.

Zakaria, 25, is out of contract at the end of this season, and his agents have held talks with some of Europe's biggest clubs. However, a source close to the negotiations said Liverpool, Bayern and Dortmund are the three sides to have made the "most serious" approaches.

Monchengladbach are open to letting the Switzerland international leave this month to avoid losing him for free in the summer. The player's camp are negotiating with a view to making a move in January but are also happy to wait until the end of the season if necessary. They have also held talks with Juventus and Manchester United, but a move to Old Trafford is viewed as an unlikely option in terms of this transfer window. A source said the uncertainty at United, with interim coach Ralf Rangnick in place only until the summer, has counted against them.

Zakaria joined Monchengladbach from Young Boys in 2017. He has made 138 appearances for the German club but is now ready to take the next step in his career.

- Bundesliga on ESPN+: Stream LIVE games and replays (U.S. only)

13.03 GMT: Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger has said his family "feel great" living in London as talks between him and the club over a new contract continue.

Rudiger, 28, is out of contract in the summer and has been linked with a free transfer to Real Madrid at the end of the season.

"Like always, I'm fully committed to the cause," Rudiger told Sky. "Talks are between my side and the club, and that's everything you need to know."

The Germany international added: "You need to listen to the missus. You have to think about your family. My kids were born here in London so that tells you that my family feel great here.

"The rest is up to other people to make decisions and then we will see if we come together or not."

12.20 GMT: Lille left-back Reinildo could be an option for Atletico Madrid this month, Diario AS reports, with the clubs in talks about getting a deal done with the defender out of contract next summer.

Reinildo, 28, has been a regular starter for Lille since joining in 2019 -- making 17 starts in Ligue 1 this season -- but has decided not to renew his deal with the reining Ligue 1 champions.

AS describes him as "one of the sensations of French football last season" who has been tracked by Napoli and Lazio as well as Atletico, and would offer Diego Simeone a more defensive-minded option than Renan Lodi.

11.35 GMT: Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe has admitted the club's difficulties to sign more players is "frustrating" as efforts to bring in Jesse Lingard and Diego Carlos continue.

The Times reports that Manchester United midfielder Lingard and Sevilla centre-back Carlos have both been targeted to help the club avoid Premier League. However, unlike the deals that right-back Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood to St James' Park, Newcastle may need to insert relegation release clauses to get more transfers over the line.

"It's been a frustrating week for us in the transfer market," Howe said. "It's been very difficult. We are very keen to add to the group and change the dynamics of the squad.

"We know we're against a deadline. Everyone at the club is desperately trying to improve the squad but it's been a fruitless search this week. We've identified the areas we need to strengthen.

"With relegation release clauses, we will always look at [them] on an individual basis. I don't think there's any hard and fast rules where we say 100% this or 100% that. Every transfer is different.

"It's a very difficult combination when you add Covid to the mix as well. There is a reluctance of clubs to lose players, just in case there is an outbreak at their club. I'm sure the takeover has elevated people's expectations of what Newcastle can pay other clubs. I think we are facing inflated prices because of our name but that's something we have to deal with.

"We want to keep on track to deliver a better squad than we had at the start of the window. It's not a slight on anybody. We are looking to bring players in to improve the squad and the team for everyone's benefit. We are well aware of what we need. If we bring the players in we get a bounce of positivity."

10.57 GMT: Dusan Vlahovic is a man in demand, with sources telling ESPN's Mark Ogden that as many as eight of Europe's leading clubs are interested in the Serbia international.

The 21-year-old has scored 20 goals in 24 games for Fiorentina so far this season and has emerged as one of the hottest properties in the game in recent months. Arsenal are reportedly keen on landing the player this month, but a move in January is unlikely and they face competition from Europe's biggest clubs.

Borussia Dortmund's Erling Haaland and Tottenham's Harry Kane are likely to be the most sought-after centre-forwards in the transfer market this summer. Bayern Munich's Robert Lewandowski would potentially be available if the Bundesliga club decide to offload the 33-year-old should he reject the opportunity to extend his contract beyond its June 2023 expiry date.

But with several top clubs needing to recruit a centre-forward, sources said that Vlahovic is likely to move to a team that misses out on Haaland and Kane. Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Barcelona are all in the market for a striker this summer, with Bayern and Paris Saint-Germain also likely to be in the hunt if Lewandowski and Kylian Mbappe leave the Allianz Arena and Parc des Princes, respectively. Sources said that Atletico Madrid and Juventus are also potential options for Vlahovic, although the deep-rooted rivalry between Juve and Fiorentina could prove problematic even if Juventus are able to fund a bid for the former Partizan Belgrade striker.

Vlahovic is under contract at Fiorentina until June 2023, and sources have said that the Serie A club accept that they will have to offload the player this summer to avoid losing him for nothing as a free agent next year.

- Karlsen: Inside the transfer window

10.19 GMT: The arrival of a new striker at the Camp Nou has now become a pressing since Ansu Fati's latest injury, Diario Sport reports.

According to Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona are recommending Ansu to undergo surgery to repair the damage. Barca will announce in the coming days the treatment the Spanish forward will follow but he could be sidelined for a few months.

Barca were already looking for a striker after summer signing Sergio Aguero was forced to retire with a heart condition.

The Catalan giants signed winger Ferran Torres from Manchester City and coach Xavi has asked the club to make another effort and bring a centre-forward.

Juventus forward Alvaro Morata continues to be Barca's top target but the Italian giants are unwilling to negotiate unless they are able to get a worthy replacement.

09.41 GMT: Steven Bergwijn's dramatic match-winning cameo against Leicester on Wednesday has reinforced Tottenham's valuation of the midfielder which has so far frustrated Ajax during negotiations, sources told ESPN's James Olley.

Spurs are believed to be seeking to recoup the majority of the €32m they paid PSV Eindhoven in January 2020 but Ajax have so far only shown a willingness to pay around half that figure.

Bergwijn's brace off the bench at the King Power Stadium has only strengthened Spurs' resolve.

The 24-year-old was introduced as a 79th minute substitute with Tottenham 2-1 down before scoring twice in stoppage time to secure what could prove to be a vital win in the hunt for a Premier League top-four finish.

Head coach Antonio Conte is also willing to continue using Bergwijn should an agreement not be reached with Ajax. It remains to be seen whether Wednesday's outing convinces Ajax to raise their offer or marks the start of Bergwijn's revival in north London.

- Lucas celebrated Spurs' wild win in arms of bemused steward

09.00 GMT: Pep Guardiola says he will not "betray" Manchester City when it finally comes time to leave the Etihad Stadium.

Guardiola has remained tight-lipped about what he might do when his contract runs out in 2023.

There has been speculation he could work in Major League Soccer with City's sister club New York City FC or take on a national team job, but whatever he decides, the 51-year-old says he will put City first.

"I won't think about the future when I still have the contract I have," Guardiola told a news conference on Friday. "I'm not good enough to think far, far away. My future always depends on results, I'm not concerned. I'm good here, comfortable, they gave me everything.

"My decision will be taken with the club, I have a lot of confidence. They gave me everything so I cannot betray them. That would be not nice. Together we took decisions to come here and to extend the contract two times and it will be the same now, it depends how they feel about me, how I feel myself in the club."

Guardiola has won eight major trophies since arriving at the Etihad in 2016, including three Premier League titles. It's already the longest he has spent at one club since becoming a manager.

PAPER GOSSIP (by Luke Thrower)

- Newcastle United have joined the race to land Olympiakos star Pape Abou Cisse, says The Sun. The 26-year-old has impressed for club and country, currently performing well in the Africa Cup of Nations for Senegal. He has previously been linked with other Premier League clubs, with Arsenal, Everton, Leicester City and Liverpool also said to be monitoring the defender.

- Aston Villa and West Ham United are in a battle to sign Burnley defender James Tarkowski, according to Ekrem Konur. The former England international is out of contract with the Clarets in the summer, with a new deal not looking any closer. The Hammers have been linked with a number of defenders, with Angelo Ogbonna set to miss the majority of the season.

- AS Roma are interested in Lazio defender Luiz Felipe, according to Calciomercato. The Serie A centre-back could leave to join a league rival come the end of the season, with his current deal expiring. Roma boss Jose Mourinho is said to be very keen on a move for the Brazilian, looking to bolster his current backline.

- Julian Alvarez has agreed personal terms with Manchester City over a potential transfer, says journalist Nicolo Schira. The 21-year-old has been linked with a move away from River Plate, with a reported release clause of $25 million in his current contract. However, Schira claims that Pep Guardiola's side have offered lower than that, at $21m.

- Tottenham Hotspur have agreed a transfer offer with Wolverhampton Wanderers for winger Adama Traore, reports Football Insider. Antonio Conte is believed to be very keen on signing the Spain international and to utilize him as a wing-back, similar to how he used Victor Moses at Chelsea. The report claims that Wolves value Traore at £22.75m, with 18 months left on his current contract. Spurs are said to have met that after breakthrough talks.