Wasteful Kaizer Chiefs settle for draw in Polokwane

Khotso Malope is one of five development graduates who Kaizer Chiefs coach Steve Komphela and his assistant Patrick Mabedi (pictured with Malope) have brought into the first team for the 2017-18 season. Aubrey Kgakatsi/BackpagePix

Kaizer Chiefs missed a host of chances as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Polokwane City in their Absa Premiership clash at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Tuesday.

Chiefs created more than enough chances to win the game as they at times tore the home defence to shreds with their incisive attacking play, but were undone by a failure to convert in the final third.

At times, they were also reliant on goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune, who made a number of fine stops himself.

Perhaps the best chance of the night fell to Chiefs' playmaker Pule Ekstein, who raced through a gap in the Polokwane defence, but with just keeper George Chigova to beat, blasted the ball over the bar.

Siphiwe Tshabalala had a much more difficult chance as his left-footed volley crashed off the post.

It will certainly feel like two points lost for coach Steve Komphela, but stretches the side's unbeaten run to four matches.

SuperSport United made light work of previously unbeaten Lamontville Golden Arrows as they romped to a 3-0 success.

Aubrey Modiba grabbed two of the goals to go with an opener from Reneilwe Letsholonyane.

The latter took advantage of a slip at the back for Golden Arrows to play a neat one-two with Jeremy Brockie and drill the ball home.

Modiba got his first when Bradley Grobler's header was only parried by visiting goalkeeper Nkosi Gumede, before he added a second with a lot shot into the corner of the net.

Brockie forced Gumede into an excellent stop in the second period and Grobler hit the post as SuperSport put in a dominant display.

In the other game on Tuesday, Bloemfontein Celtic compounded the woes for Maritzburg United coach Fadlu Davids with a 1-0 home win thanks to Jacky Motshegwa's strike.

Maritzburg have now gone nine games without a win and only managed to score a paltry two goals in that time.

It's now been almost 600 minutes -- or 10 hours of football -- since their last goal, and even that came from an opposition player as AmaZulu's Michael Morton put the ball into his own net.