Malaga have been able to finally complete the 950,000 euro signing of midfielder Pablo Perez from Newell’s Old Boys, after reaching an agreement with Manchester City defender Martin Demichelis over wages owed.
Perez had been in the city since Sunday, and completed a medical on Tuesday, but the move was held up by issues that included a legal case brought by former Boquerones defender Demichelis to get the 400,000 euros he said he was due from his time at the club.
The move made Demichelis unpopular with some Malaga fans, and the City man took to Twitter on Wednesday night to defend himself.
The messages have since been deleted, but local media reported that he tweeted: “They lied to me for 12 months saying that everything was sorted out, that it was not serious. Was it not better that we told the truth?
“There are things which must be respected, not to just let them go ALL the time.”
Malaga did not comment on the Demichelis issue but did release an official statement on Wednesday evening confirming the deal to sign box-to-box midfielder Perez, 28, had gone through.
“Malaga Football Club has reached an agreement with Argentinean-born midfielder Pablo Javier Perez to join the blue-and-whites for the rest of this season and another three, until 2016-17,” the statement read. “Perez joins Malaga from Newell’s Old Boys, where he was a key player in ‘Tata’ Martino’s team winning the 2013 Argentine League Championship. Perez played a total of 16 games in the first round of the league competition, scoring four goals. His position on the pitch is in midfield, although he’s capable of playing various roles.”
While waiting around for the deal to go through, Perez had told Argentine radio show Zapping Sport that he was thrilled by the chance to play in La Liga.
“The truth is I am very excited, because for me this is the biggest,” he said. “I have battled for this ever since I began in football. I really want everything to get sorted out quickly so I can meet my new teammates and begin training with them.”