2015-16 UEFA Champions League, Group Stage

Atletico Madrid held to goalless draw at FC Astana

Astana secured their second point but remain with out a win in the Champions League group stages following a goalless draw against Atletico Madrid in Kazakhstan.

The home side, the first club from Kazakhstan to reach the competition's group stages, have now lost two and drawn two of their first four matches to prop up the table, while the point was enough to lift Atletico top, one point above Benfica who play Galatasaray later on Tuesday.

Astana, who lost 4-0 to Atletico two weeks ago in Madrid, were largely untroubled during the first half but were rescued by the woodwork just before the interval when Koke's dipping free kick hit the crossbar.

Fernando Torres earlier missed a golden chance to put the Spaniards ahead and score his 100th goal for Atletico when he poked Juanfran's pass wide following a lapse in concentration in the Astana defence in the 32nd minute.

Astana's best chance in the first period fell to Roger Canas 10 minutes earlier, but he headed Foxi Kethevoama's delivery over the crossbar, while Dmitri Shomko had the first effort on goal, forcing Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak to save low with a shot from inside the area in the sixth minute.

Shomko tested Oblak again two minutes into the second half with a stunning 30-yard effort that the Slovenia international did well to hold.

Atletico responded through Diego Godin, who headed Gabi's corner straight at Nenad Eric, while midfielder Saul Niguez also saw his header gathered by the Astana goalkeeper.

Antoine Griezmann dragged his angled shot wide as Atletico threatened again in the 74th minute before defender Jose Gimenez and Godin also went close with headers.

Atletico substitute Yannick Carrasco fired a 25-yard free kick wide with six minutes left following Georgi Zhukov's foul on Tiago and with the last kick of the game fired in a shot after making space on the edge of the area that was comfortably caught by Eric as the game ended goalless.