• Louis Moult (13', 85')
  • Joe Lewis (13' OG)
  • Peter Hartley (19')

Motherwell 3-0 Aberdeen

In-form Motherwell swept into the Betfred Cup semi-finals with a 3-0 victory over Aberdeen as visiting goalkeeper Joe Lewis had a night to forget at Fir Park.
Lewis fumbled Louis Moult's hooked effort into his net and spilled Peter Hartley's header as the defender scored his first goal for Motherwell to put them two up inside 19 minutes.
Aberdeen, finalists in both cup competitions last season, never recovered and Moult, the subject of a failed summer bid by the Dons, heaped more misery on their goalkeeper by firing a third inside the near post with five minutes left.
Motherwell were rewarded for a vibrant display with their fourth consecutive home win and first semi-final since 2011 as Aberdeen suffered their first domestic defeat of the season.
Ryan Bowman set the tone for the night when he charged the ball down two seconds after Aberdeen kicked off, although the Dons had the first effort on target when Trevor Carson parried Ryan Christie's effort after a lengthy run from the on-loan Celtic player.
Bowman set up the 13th-minute opener after running at Mark Reynolds and sliding in to feed Moult when it looked like he had lost the ball. The striker was running away from goal but he took everyone by surprise, especially Lewis, by flicking the ball up and hooking it over his head. The effort looked to be going across the face of goal but the Dons keeper fumbled it into his net.
Dominic Ball sent a free header over from six yards at the other end, although Andrew Considine's header came to him quickly, before the hosts doubled their lead.
Hartley got above Anthony O'Connor to meet Steven Hammell's inswinging free-kick six yards out and Lewis could not keep it out.
Motherwell were relentless with their pressing and Bowman and Moult both escaped their markers to meet set-pieces but could not guide headers on target.
Derek McInnes had seen enough by the 36th minute and sent on striker Adam Rooney for winger Gary Mackay-Steven.
But the tide did not turn. Moult had shots blocked and well-saved in the opening stages of the second period before Rooney had an effort saved on the turn.
Motherwell's work-rate denied Aberdeen space when the visitors had possession and Carson saved brilliantly when Christie broke away following a home corner.
The hosts continued to look the likelier team though. Logan cleared Hartley's shot off the line following a corner and Allan Campbell's strike hit the inside of both posts before bouncing into Lewis's arms.
And Moult sealed a memorable win when he raced on to a long ball and blasted a shot into the far top corner from what looked another impossible angle.