2019 Major League Soccer, Regular Season
  • Gustavo Bou (86')
  • Nicolas Benezet (74')

Revolution earn late tie with Toronto FC

Toronto leave 2 points behind in New England (0:55)

Toronto FC move above the playoff line with a draw, but a goalkeeping howler costs the Reds a win at the Revs. To watch MLS sign up to ESPN+. (0:55)

Gustavo Bou's goal in the 86th minute allowed the New England Revolution to record a valuable point with a 1-1 draw against visiting Toronto FC on Saturday night at Foxboro, Mass.

It looked as if the Revolution (10-9-9, 39 points) were headed for defeat after Nicolas Benezet put Toronto up 1-0 in the 74th minute. However, Bou struck from atop the left-center of the box and under TFC keeper Quentin Westberg, who allowed the ball to go through his arms while on the ground.

- Major League Soccer standings
- Alright, alright! Matthew McConaughey owns new MLS team

It was the sixth goal in eight MLS matches for Bou. New England, meanwhile, is 8-1-7 since sacking manager Brad Friedel in early May.

Though Toronto (10-10-8, 38 points) earned a point that pushed the club above the playoff line in the Eastern Conference, this also felt like a missed opportunity. Playing just his fourth MLS game with Toronto, Benezet headed home a rebound for his first MLS goal after Revs keeper Matt Turner saved Marco Delgado's shot from the left side of the box.

However, New England woke up offensively after not showing much fluidity, especially in Toronto's final-third, and certainly during the first half. The Revolution were ultimately rewarded, in part thanks to Westberg's poor play of the Bou shot.

Before both teams amped up the pressure late, Toronto was stymied twice by Turner in a matter of seconds within the 51st minute. First on Alejandro Pozuelo and then on a shot by Benezet.

Bou had a scintillating chance in the second minute in a near 1-v-1 Westberg, but he dragged the ball wide left of the goal. TFC, meanwhile, managed to get behind the New England back-end on a handful of occasions in the first half, but either failed to fully connect or was whistled offside as the visitors proved to be the aggressors early on.