Markus Babbel's time was up at Western Sydney following Sunday night's A-League loss to Perth Glory, with chief executive John Tsatsimas saying the club needed to act quickly to halt poor results.
Little more than 12 hours after the Wanderers lost for the eighth time this season, 1-0 at Bankwest Stadium, the club pulled the trigger on the under-fire Babbel, axing the 47-year-old midway through his three-year contract.
The former Liverpool defender becomes the third A-League coach to be sacked this season after Ernie Merrick at Newcastle Jets and Marco Kurz at Melbourne Victory.
Tsatsimas confirmed conversations intensified following Sunday night's defeat, prompting an emergency meeting with coaching staff at the club's training base on Monday morning.
It was there Babbel was sacked, with his assistant Jean-Paul de Marigny promoted to caretaker to try to arrest a miserable record of just one win in 11, and 23 losses from 41 games during the German's reign.
"These conversations happened subsequent to last night. If you consider 'where do you want to be at the end of the season?', I think we need to make a call today to ensure that we're active and responsive to where we're at currently, to ensure that we're in contention when it matters," Tsatsimas said.
"(Babbel is) a fantastic man and he certainly bought into the club in every sense, which makes the decision even harder.
"But one win in 11, particularly with what we believe is a very strong squad that should be contesting at the back end of the season, we believe that the opportunity is now right with a bye next weekend and the opportunity for JP to reset and make a concerted effort for the finals series."
Pressure had been building on Babbel for several months, with the Wanderers winning just four games so far this season, and 10 in total from his 41 games in charge.
There were high expectations for the team this season, with new training facilities and a move into the state-of-the-art Bankwest Stadium.
However, the Wanderers remain ninth on the ladder, four points off the top six after 14 games, with little sign of improvement.
Babbel consistently denied feeling anything but support from the club, and when asked on Sunday night whether the defeat to Perth signalled his final game in charge of the Wanderers, he said: "Don't worry, I'm a fighter".
Following the announcement on Monday morning, Babbel recorded a video message dismissing speculation there had been a rift in the coaching staff.
He also paid tribute to the 'amazing' Wanderers fans and encouraged them to stick by the club, saying the past two years had been the best time of his life.
"The club is top and especially you are top because you make this club special," he told supporters.
"I enjoyed every single home game because you were amazing, and keep going with it because I still believe this team can do something special but they need the 12th man.
"The team has the quality to beat every single team in this division but they need your help. From my side thank you so much for everything ... I will miss you."