Once again, it is the first Tuesday in November, which means it is time to run the Melbourne Cup around the 3200 metres at Flemington.
We have all the details you need to pick a winner in the big one.
TAB fixed odds correct as of 12:30pm AEDT, 1st November, 2022 (please visit tab.com.au for the latest).
1. GOLD TRIP TAB Odds:
1. GOLD TRIP TAB Odds:$21 Form: 52x3x33529 - Former French galloper now owned by Australian interests who has been around the mark in some big races, but has only ever won the one race and backs up here after running in the Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate. Top weight may be too much to bear.
2. DUAIS TAB Odds:
2. DUAIS TAB Odds:$23 Form: 96117x0688 - Has three Group 1 victories to its name, but has been below its best this campaign. Will appreciate the step up in distance and the return of Hugh Bowman to the saddle. At its best could be amongst the place getters.
3. KNIGHTS ORDER TAB Odds:
3. KNIGHTS ORDER TAB Odds:$15 Form: x3521x1343 - A proven stayer with two victories over this trip. Only three 8-year-olds have won the Cup, so history is against it. Sired by champion stayer So You Think, it won the Sydney Cup this year and could be among the challengers.
4. MONTEFILIA TAB Odds:
4. MONTEFILIA TAB Odds:$11 Form: 14x718x434 - Four-time Group 1 winner, who at its best is the class stayer in the field. Consistency recently has been an issue, but if everything comes together on the day, should be in the finish. A solid fourth in the Caulfield Cup was a good indicator that they are building towards a win here.
5. NUMERIAN TAB Odds:
5. NUMERIAN TAB Odds:$51 Form: x60211x225 - Is in its second Australian prep since moving from Ireland and has shown some promise. There are doubts over whether it can run the distance, after being swamped in the Caulfield Cup.
6. WITHOUT A FIGHT TAB Odds:
6. WITHOUT A FIGHT TAB Odds:$12 Form: 11x20311x2 - One of the foreign invaders, it is a proven stayer who has won over 2787 metres and has only missed a place in one race this year. Drawn awkwardly in barrier 18, with trainers having their first stab at a Melbourne Cup, it faces a decent challenge.
7. CAMORRA TAB Odds:
7. CAMORRA TAB Odds:$61 Form: 3217x551x8 - Has a solid record as a stayer and gets away from the barriers quickly, so should be among the leaders early. Having been through the travel and quarantine routine, it will virtually be first-up for this race and its first-up record isn't too promising.
8 DEAUVILLE LEGEND TAB Odds:
8 DEAUVILLE LEGEND TAB Odds:$3.50 Form: 4x2x12121x - The TAB favourite has the form on the board overseas, having done well in three lead-up runs. Tends to fire up a bit before races, and its temperament could prove costly, particularly in front of the big Melbourne crowd. If you like putting your money on a foreign horse that might not deliver at short odds, this is for you.
9. STOCKMAN TAB Odds:
9. STOCKMAN TAB Odds:$21 Form: 127x964418 - A quality stayer who goes into this at peak fitness having already had five runs in the lead-up. Has never run the Melbourne direction before and needs as much sting out of the track as possible, as most of its victories have been in the slop.
10. VOW AND DECLARE TAB Odds:
10. VOW AND DECLARE TAB Odds:$21 Form: x8x00x5356n - The 2019 Melbourne Cup winner comes into this following a solid finish in the Caulfield Cup. The trainers claim it is in better form this time around than when it won and with Blake Shinn on board should have every chance.
11. YOUNG WERTHER TAB Odds:
11. YOUNG WERTHER TAB Odds:$34 Form: 32x528x430 - Has had some ordinary luck in its career, but comes into this race with only one victory to its name. It's third placing in the 2022 Turnbull Stakes showed some promise and could be an each way chance.
12. HOO YA MAL TAB Odds:
12. HOO YA MAL TAB Odds:$15 Form: 312x322318 - Has never raced in Australia, but Gai Waterhouse has hand-picked this stayer, it will only be carrying 53.5kg and with an experienced Melbourne Cup-winning jockey Craig Williams riding, it could surprise.
13. SERPENTINE TAB Odds:
13. SERPENTINE TAB Odds:$41 Form: 786x0x0902 - The 2020 Epsom Derby winner has not won a race since. Was gelded in March of this year before being sent to Australia to work under Robert Hickmott at Macedon Lodge. Will need a good start from a wide barrier.
14. DAQIANSWEET JUNIOR TAB Odds:
14. DAQIANSWEET JUNIOR TAB Odds:$41 Form: 111213x070 - The Adelaide Cup winner over 3200m this year, it also finished third in the Sydney Cup. Nicely weighted, but preferring a firmer track, its recent form has also been a concern.
15. GRAND PROMENADE TAB Odds:
15. GRAND PROMENADE TAB Odds:$61 Form: 2516x7x594 - Finished sixth the Melbourne Cup last year in a much tougher field. It might just struggle in the heavy going.
16. ARAPAHO TAB Odds:
16. ARAPAHO TAB Odds:$41 Form: 2721712382 - Loves the wet, with five wins and a further three placings from 13 runs. This French Raider has never run the 3200m and will have to improve to win this one.
17. EMISSARY TAB Odds:
17. EMISSARY TAB Odds:$23 Form: 53x35x1581 - Has the barrier and weight to do well here. This lightly raced horse originally from Britain won the Geelong Cup, which has previously been a good form line leading into the Melbourne Cup.
18. LUNAR FLARE SCRATCHED
18. LUNAR FLARE SCRATCHED
19. SMOKIN' ROMANS TAB Odds:
19. SMOKIN' ROMANS TAB Odds:$17 Form: 2219x92117 - Was favoured to win the Caulfield Cup after some promising performances this year, but didn't perform up to expectations. Jamie Kah fans could do a lot worse than to have a few dollars on this one.
20. TRALEE ROSE TAB Odds:
20. TRALEE ROSE TAB Odds:$51 Form: 2219x92117 - Finished midfield in last year's Cup despite carrying an injury. This year's form hasn't been as promising and is only really in the field due to a few others dropping out.
21. POINT NEPEAN SCRATCHED
21. POINT NEPEAN SCRATCHED
22. HIGH EMOCEAN TAB Odds:
22. HIGH EMOCEAN TAB Odds:$34 Form: 9x25x34161 - Extremely fit runner who loves a wet track, but in its only start over 2500 metres it finished 14 lengths behind the winner. Winner of the Bendigo Cup, it will run well, but might not get the distance.
23. INTERPRETATION TAB Odds:
23. INTERPRETATION TAB Odds:$51 Form: 11144x6536 - This Irish stayer has really not set the world on fire since moving to Australia. Carries just 50kg and the lightweights have done well in recent years, but maybe look to No.24 if that's your inspiration.
24. REALM OF FLOWERS TAB Odds:
24. REALM OF FLOWERS TAB Odds:$11 Form: 51x006x033 - Has won over 2800m at Flemington and has the barrier and weight to do really well here.