Devin Haney will enjoy a Bay Area homecoming as he tries to become a two-division champion.
Haney's challenge of WBC junior welterweight champion Regis Prograis will take place Dec. 9 at San Francisco's Chase Center, home of the Golden State Warriors, sources told ESPN.
The Prograis-Haney bout, which was originally planned for Oct. 28 in Las Vegas, will be streamed on DAZN pay-per-view, sources said.
Haney, 24, is the undisputed lightweight champion but will make his 140-pound debut as he prepares to campaign at a new weight. ESPN's No. 8 pound-for-pound boxer, Haney retained his four 135-pound titles when he defeated future Hall of Famer Vasiliy Lomachenko in May via unanimous decision.
The bout was the last of Haney's three-fight deal with Top Rank. Now, Haney (30-0, 15 KOs) will return to Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing, which promoted six of the American's fights on DAZN.
Haney signed with Top Rank after his win over Joseph Diaz Jr. to pursue a fight with George Kambosos in Australia for the undisputed lightweight championship.
He then made his pay-per-view headline debut with a career-best win, a thrilling victory over Lomachenko.
In his 140-pound debut, Haney will take on a dangerous southpaw puncher in Prograis, who is ESPN's No. 3-rated junior welterweight.
Bay Area... December I'm coming!— Devin Haney (@Realdevinhaney) September 9, 2023
Prograis, a 34-year-old from New Orleans, became a two-time champion at 140 pounds with an 11th-round KO of Jose Zepeda in November. Prograis (29-1, 24 KOs) signed a three-fight deal with Matchroom Boxing afterward and went on to retain his title with a split decision victory over Danielito Zorrilla in a homecoming bout.
Now, Prograis will step up for the biggest fight of his career. His lone pro defeat came against Josh Taylor via majority decision in October 2019, a title unification fight in London. Prograis rebounded with four consecutive TKO victories.
With a victory over Prograis, Haney could place himself in pole position for Fighter of the Year honors.
Haney still retains the WBA, IBF and WBO titles at 135 pounds but was named champion in recess by the WBC. Shakur Stevenson and Frank Martin had been slated to vie for the vacant WBC title, but sources told ESPN that Martin has withdrawn from the fight.