Former Baylor RB Shamycheal Chatman arrested over '13 incident

The U.S. Marshals Service arrested a second former Baylor football player on Thursday on a warrant related to a sexual assault that allegedly occurred in Waco, Texas, in 2013.

Former Bears running back Shamycheal Chatman, 23, was arrested in Houston on Thursday and was being held at the Harris County Jail, the U.S. Marshal's Service confirmed Friday.

Chatman's arrest comes a day after former Baylor tight end Tre'Von Armstead was arrested in Port Arthur, Texas. A grand jury in Waco indicted Armstead on three second-degree felony charges of sexual assault for an alleged incident that occurred in 2013. The indictment was sealed until his arrest on Wednesday.

A source told ESPN that Chatman was was also indicted on three second-degree felony sexual assault charges.

It's the first time former Baylor football players have been indicted for alleged crimes in which they were previously not charged.

John Clune, the attorney of the woman, identified only as Elizabeth Doe in court records, told ESPN on Thursday that his client has been cooperating with law enforcement officials. Armstead and Chatman were never previously criminally charged in the incident involving the woman, a former Baylor Bruins recruiting hostess.

Police went to the woman's house the night of the alleged assault in April 2013, after her friends called 911 believing that she'd been attacked. Observations by officers at the scene and a rape exam at a hospital revealed bruises, a bite mark and scratches, and witnesses told police they believed they had heard, from downstairs, noises indicative of an assault.

But the woman declined to press charges because she was too drunk to remember exactly what happened, and Waco police suspended the investigation. Baylor officials did not investigate the incident for more than two years, despite the school's obligation under federal law to immediately address allegations of sexual violence involving students, Outside the Lines reported in April.

In late January, the woman filed a federal Title IX lawsuit against Baylor, alleging its football program fostered a culture in which alcohol and illegal drugs were provided to recruits, and that coaches encouraged female students in the Baylor Bruins hostess program to have sex with recruits and players.

In 2013, the Waco Police Department wrote in a police report that it had informed Baylor officials about the off-campus incident involving Armstead and Chatman. Waco police also told the alleged victim that they had contacted Baylor, but according to documents and interviews conducted by OTL, Baylor didn't begin looking into the allegations until Sept. 11, 2015.

Armstead was suspended from the football team in the fall of 2015 and expelled from school in February 2016, after a Title IX adjudicator found him responsible for sexually assaulting the woman. His appeal was denied. Armstead, through his mother and attorney, had declined previous interview requests by OTL, but he has maintained that he never had sex with the woman referenced in the lawsuit.

However, Chatman told Baylor Title IX investigators in 2015 that the two did have sex with her.

A Baylor Title IX adjudicator found Armstead responsible for sexually assaulting the woman, after a forensics firm hired by Pepper Hamilton was able to retrieve text messages from the woman's phone regarding the alleged incident. Waco police suspended the case after they were unable to retrieve the text messages from her phone.

Chatman, who left Baylor after the spring 2013 semester, and his family members have declined repeated interview requests with ESPN.