COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Los Angeles Chargers general manager Tom Telesco told reporters on Sunday that the team informed running back Melvin Gordon's representation that talks regarding his contract extension have been postponed until the end of the season.
"When or if Melvin reports, he'll play this season under his current contract, and we'll just revisit it after the season," Telesco said.
Gordon does not plan to report for Week 1 as he sorts through potential trade options during his lengthy holdout, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler on Sunday.
Gordon is set to make $5.605 million in 2019 on the fifth-year team option of his rookie deal.
With contract talks at an impasse, the Chargers granted Gordon's representation permission to seek a trade with another team, so he could potentially play elsewhere this season under a new deal if he finds a trade partner and the Chargers agree to the terms.
The Wisconsin product did not report to the start of training camp at the end of July, telling the Chargers through his representation that if he does not receive a new deal, he'll sit out and demand a trade.
Gordon desires a contract extension that will compensate him among the top running backs in the league, such as Todd Gurley, David Johnson and Le'Veon Bell, who earn an average of $13 million to $14 million annually.
Earlier this summer, the Chargers offered Gordon a new contract that potentially doubled his salary at roughly $10 million annually -- but at this point, that offer does not appear to be available anymore.
"Those two guys are going to work in tandem with each other," Telesco said. "I think the day and age of having to have one running back to carry it 300 times is probably not the smartest thing in the world anyways.
"Even if you have a big, bell-cow back, you'd like to have another back to come in and spell them, give them some rest and have a different dimension. So right now, we're very happy with Austin as an every-down back."
Gordon's holdout is one of a couple of early-season adversities facing the Chargers, a team expected to compete for a playoff berth for the second year in a row and a deep postseason run in 2019.
Left tackle Russell Okung was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list to start the season because of a pulmonary embolism caused by blood clots and cannot play for at least the first six weeks of the regular season. Okung will return to the field only after being cleared by doctors.
And All-Pro safety Derwin James is expected to be placed on the injured reserve list after surgery to repair a stress fracture in his right foot and will not be available until November at the earliest.
However, Telesco said his team is unfazed by its early misfortunes.
"Every season, there's going to be obstacles that you have," Telesco said. "And that's just the way it is. It's our job to figure out a way around them. It's our job to have solutions to them, and it's our job to play through them."