Bordeaux impress as Clermont and Toulouse leave it late


Round 10 of the Top 14 started in exciting fashion as Bordeaux-Begles came out on top in a 37-19 win over Stade Francais.

Bordeaux scored four tries to Stade Francais' three but it was the ace boot of former New Zealand Under 20 captain Simon Hickey who kept the Parisians at bay with four conversions, two penalties and dropped goal in his return to French club rugby.

Cellar-dwellers Grenoble almost pulled off the upset of the competition with a late penalty required for Clermont to record a 21-20 win at Stade Marcel Michelin.

Grenoble prop Alexandre Dardet put the visitors in front for the first time in the match with a try in the 65th minute, but the lead was short lived as Patricio Fernandez kicked a penalty 12 minutes from time in what proved to be the match winning points.

The clash between Toulouse against Castres ended in similar fashion with scrum half Samuel Marques needed to slot a last minute penalty to get Toulouse home 16-15.

Hooker Leonardo Ghiraldini scored the only try of the match for Toulouse. Castres haven't beaten their closest neighbours away from home in nearly forty years.

After being locked at 9-9 at half-time Brive broke away with two second half tries to beat Bayonne 26-9.

Winger Guillaume Namy and no. 8 Sisa Koyamaibole scored for the home side.

In the late game on Saturday, Racing 92 got the job done without star playmaker Dan Carter in a 21-9 win over Montpellier.

It took 72 minutes for the first try of the match when Racing's Henry Chavancy scored for the home side and Xavier Chauveau followed suit not long after to seal the result.

La Rochelle continued their brilliant start to the season with a 27-6 win over Pau.

Mohamed Boughanmi grabbed a try in the first-half and Jeremie Maurouard added two more in the second as they ran out comfortable winners. Brock James once more proved he's far from a spent force with two penalties and two conversions.

Lyon brushed the challenge of Toulon aside, 27-13 on Sunday. Tries from Mickael Ivaldi and Napolioni Nalaga either side of half-time gave them a lead they wouldn't relinquish.

Frederic Michalak was on song with four penalties and a conversion while Toulon managed a consolation try through Sebastien Tillous-Borde in the final 10 minutes.