<
>

LIVE Transfer Talk: Manchester City to give Erling Haaland new deal to thwart Real Madrid

play
How Ten Hag 'misjudged' Man City and Guardiola (2:30)

Steve Nicol believes Erik ten Hag picked the wrong team to face Manchester City. (2:30)

The summer transfer window is closed for the major leagues in Europe. However, with an eye on January, there's plenty of gossip swirling about who's moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!

TOP STORY: Man City to stop Real Madrid swoop for Haaland

Real Madrid want to sign Erling Haaland from Manchester City by utilising a release clause that will become active in 2024, but the Premier League champions will aim to thwart the plan.

According to El Chiringuito TV, the 22-year-old striker can be signed for €200 million in 2024 due to a clause that was negotiated in his contract when he joined City from Borussia Dortmund for €60m this summer.

However, Mundo Deportivo reveals that Pep Guardiola's side are already working on a move to hand Haaland a new deal that would void the future clause. Given that he earns in the region of £375,000-per-week, the Citizens may have to make the Norway international their highest earner if they are to persuade him to stay.

Haaland scored a hat trick against Manchester United on Sunday for a total of 14 goals in just eight games so far, just nine shy of equalling last year's Golden Boot-winning tally.

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, more (U.S.)

LIVE BLOG

22.00 BST: After the Champions League match at Barcelona next week, Inter Milan will contact the agent of Milan Skriniar to schedule a meeting to discuss renewing the centre-back's contract, reports Sky Sport Italia. While negotiations are not expected to be easy, Inter are determined to reach an agreement and avoid losing the Slovakia international on a free transfer in the summer, with Paris Saint-Germain having tried to sign the 27-year-old this past transfer window and still holding an interest in him.

21.27 BST: Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has suggested that the club look to renew the contracts of William Saliba, Gabriel Martinelli and Bukayo Saka, reports the Telegraph, with each of the trio currently having two years remaining on their deals.

"Obviously we have to plan for the future and we are all working on it," Arteta is quoted as saying. "Obviously (technical director) Edu is on top of it and all the board and we will try to do things in the right way, being fair and trying to plan the best possible way and reward the players that in our opinion have a big future for the club."

20.54 BST: Torino are interested in signing Girona right-back Arnau Martinez, reports Tuttosport, which adds that the LaLiga side could command a transfer fee of around €5.6m.v The Spain U21 international has played five times this season and already has two goals, which came against Real Betis and Real Sociedad.

20.21 BST: Lazio manager Maurizio Sarri is insisting that the club sign Empoli left-back Fabiano Parisi in January, reports Calciomercato. A deal could be difficult to reach, though, with Empoli demanding a transfer fee of at least €10m for the 21-year-old.

19.48 BST: Fabrizio Romano reports that Lionel Messi has not received any contract offers, as nothing will be decided now. With the Argentina captain's Paris Saint-Germain deal set to expire this summer, the Ligue 1 champions want to extend his contract while Barcelona are said to want to bring him back to Camp Nou.

19.15 BST: At least six Bundesliga clubs are vying to sign Switzerland international Ardon Jashari, according to Sky Sport Deutschland, with two of those said to be top clubs. The midfielder already captains Luzern at 20 years old, while he also has interest from Italy and Spain.

18.42 BST: Arsenal have offered to send 22-year-old midfielder Albert Sambi Lokonga to Juventus in exchange for Manuel Locatelli, reports Calciomercato. However, the Bianconeri have no interest in letting the 24-year-old Italy midfielder leave. and he's also keen to stay put.

18.09 BST: Sport Bild's Christian Falk reports that Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita will not begin negotiations on a new contract before January, with his existing deal ending in the summer. Falk has also rejected any suggestion that the Guinea international will be involved in a winter swap deal as the Reds to continue to look at Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham.

17.36 BST: Slovenia international Josip Ilicic has returned to his home country to join Maribor as a free agent after leaving Atalanta in the summer, the club announced on Wednesday. The 34-year-old has signed a contract until 2025, and said: "I promised that I would come back one day and now was the right moment."

17.03 BST: After the agent of Charlotte FC forward Karol Swiderski said that there is "no lack of offers" for the 25-year-old Poland international, sporting director Zoran Krneta has put an end to any speculation that the MLS club's DP will be leaving any time soon.

"Right now, Karol Swiderski is absolutely untouchable. That's not even a discussion," Zrneta is quoted as saying by MLSsoccer.com. "There are rumors going around, but that's part of the soccer world. Karol is our captain, he's doing great for us, we love him. I think he's enjoying life in Charlotte and playing in MLS. Until this changes, he'll be our player."

16.30 BST: Maybe Liverpool will stick with Trent Alexander-Arnold after all.

play
0:47

How Trent Alexander-Arnold silenced the critics vs. Rangers

Steve Nicol praises Trent Alexander-Arnold performance in Liverpool's 2-0 win over Rangers in the Champions League.

15.38 BST: FC Salzburg striker Benjamin Sesko is set to join RB Leipzig for around €24m next summer, but some of Europe's top clubs are ready to make offers before he has even played for the German side, says 90min.

Sesko, 19, stands 6-foot-5 tall and has scored 16 goals in 52 games for Austrian team Salzburg. The Slovenia international has agreed to make the step up to join Leipzig in 2023 but Manchester United, Chelsea and Bayern Munich are keen to get involved.

A fee of around €60m might persuade Leipzig to make a quick profit on the striker next summer before he has kicked a ball for them.

14.41 BST: Arsenal want to sign Juventus midfielder Manuel Locatelli and are willing to do a straight swap deal, says Calciomercatoweb.

Locatelli, 24, was linked with a €50m move over the summer and the Italy international could now move on in January after failing to convince manager Massimiliano Allegri of his place in the first XI.

The Gunners could part with 22-year-old Belgium international Albert Sambi Lokonga, who has been unable to cement his place in midfield this season and is growing tired of life on the bench, as part of the deal.

14.03 BST: Nacional striker Luis Suarez is set to leave his boyhood club and move to Major League Soccer in 2023, says AS.

Suarez, 35, only joined Nacional on a short-term deal this summer and is set to play for Uruguay at the 2022 World Cup in November. He will make a decision regarding his club future after the tournament as he becomes a free agent in January.

LA Galaxy are reported to be leading the way to sign the former Barcelona and Liverpool striker.

"I don't know yet," Suarez told reporters over the weekend, when asked about playing in MLS. "It's one of the options that I see as being most likely, but I'm not thinking about that right now. I'm thinking about and enjoying myself at Nacional."

13.21 BST: Liverpool are interested in signing Bayern Munich midfielder Jamal Musiala as an alternative target to Borussia Dortmund's Jude Bellingham, says the Daily Mirror.

Bellingham, 19, is valued at around £120m and the 19-year-old Musiala would likely fetch a similar transfer fee based on his fine start to the season -- seven goals and six assists from 12 games to date.

Bayern legend Lothar Matthaus recently likened the Germany international to PSG star Lionel Messi, so the club aren't keen to let Musiala leave and the player himself is also happy where he is, according to Sky Germany.

12.46 BST: Erik ten Hag has insisted Cristiano Ronaldo is happy at Manchester United, despite concerns the striker could leave in January's transfer window after a lack of game time.

Ronaldo was an unused substitute in United's heavy defeat against rivals Man City on Sunday. Ten Hag said he resisted the temptation to bring on Ronaldo "out of respect for his career."

Ten Hag told reporters in a news conference on Wednesday the 37-year-old is "pissed off" when he doesn't play, but there is "good spirit."

"I don't bring him on out of respect, it's nothing to do with what's happening for the future or January or next year," Ten Hag said. "I don't see he's unhappy, he's happy, he's training well, he's enjoying it. Everyone is training well, there's a good spirit.

"He's not happy that he wasn't playing on Sunday, but that wasn't the question. The question was about his mood when he's around and he's happy. Of course, he wants to play, he's pissed off when he's not playing."

12.25 BST: Atletico Madrid have agreed a deal with Barcelona to sign Antoine Griezmann on a permanent basis, multiple sources have told ESPN, bringing an end to the stalemate that has seen the France forward start just one LaLiga game this season.

Griezmann, 31, returned to Atletico -- who he left for Barcelona in a €120m transfer in 2019 -- on a two-year loan deal in August 2021 after struggling to adapt to life at Camp Nou.

The terms of the loan agreement stated that Atletico would be obliged to pay €40m to sign Griezmann permanently if he played 45 minutes or more in 50% of the matches for which he was available over the two-year period.

Atletico were unwilling to meet that fee and the club ordered manager Diego Simeone to restrict his use of Griezmann this season, in an attempt to force Barcelona to negotiate. That led to an uncomfortable situation where Griezmann, who is the fourth-highest goal scorer in Atletico's history, has been repeatedly used as a second-half substitute.

After protracted talks, sources told ESPN that the two clubs have now reached a consensus to make the loan permanent for a fee of just over half the €40m that was originally agreed in 2021.

12.00 BST: Casemiro is a world-class, €70m midfielder but is yet to start a league game for his new club. Why are Manchester United keeping him on the bench?

play
1:36

Why is Casemiro behind McTominay and Eriksen at Man United?

Gab Marcotti and Julien Laurens can't understand how Scott McTominay and Christian Eriksen are keeping Casemiro out of the Man United starting eleven.

11.11 BST: West Ham midfielder Declan Rice is still a target for Chelsea, says 90min.

Rice, 23, is considered one of the best defensive midfielders in the world and has a contract until 2024, with the option of another year.

The England international could depart for a transfer fee of over £120m, but Chelsea may feel they can do a deal in the coming months if he pushes for a move away.

10.45 BST: Rafael Leao says he feels important at AC Milan amid reports that Chelsea have not given up hope of signing him.

Leao, 23, is under contract with AC Milan until June 2024 and is reportedly in talks to sign a new long-term deal, while the club reportedly turned down an €80m offer from Chelsea in the summer transfer window.

"It wasn't easy to arrive in Milan at 19 but I couldn't miss the opportunity that the club gave me," Leao, who joined the Rossoneri from Lille in a €29m transfer in 1019, told Sky Italia. "The club always transmitted to me they had no intention of selling me because they believe in me.

"The trust given by Milan has helped me to grow and improve. I feel I'm a precious resource for this club and team."

Leao has scored four goals and set up seven more in nine appearances for Milan this season and coach Stefano Pioli does not see the Portugal forward leaving any time soon.

"Leao plays well in the Italian league and he is happy about that," Pioli said. "I believe that is the most important thing."

10.19 BST: Fabrizio Romano reports that Real Madrid are set to extend Karim Benzema's contract until June 2024.

Benzema, 34, has a deal which expires in 2023 and netted 30 goals last season, with four in seven games so far this campaign.

The France international striker is heavy favourite to win the Ballon d'Or this year and will be rewarded with fresh terms.

09.50 BST: Barcelona target Martin Zubimendi is hopeful of signing a new long-term contract with Real Sociedad.

Zubimendi, 23, is reportedly considered by Barca as the ideal candidate to replace veteran midfielder Sergio Busquets.

Busquets, 34, has not signed a contract extension with Barca, with his deal ending next summer. With Barca among the clubs interested in Zubimendi, the Basque outfit are reportedly going to offer the player a new deal that will see him become one of the highest paid players at the club while also increased his release clause, which is current set at €60m.

Asked about signing a new deal with La Real, Zubimendi said: "I hope so. The truth is that there is a very good understanding with the club, it will only be a question of time."

Zubimendi is under contract with the Basque outfit until June 2025 and has made eight appearances for La Real this season.

09.21 BST: Club Brugge striker Ferran Jutgla says he has no hard feelings towards former club Barcelona, and isn't ruling out a return to Camp Nou in the future.

Jutgla joined Brugge this summer in a €5m transfer from Barca. A youth product of La Masia, the 23-year-old has scored six goals in the Belgian league and two in the Champions League, including in Tuesday's 2-0 win against Atletico Madrid.

"I owe everything to Barca because it has allowed me to be where I am right now," he told El Larguero. "I wish the best for Barca. I'm just following my path. I came here eager to grow and to learn. I know that if I work hard, if I'm disciplined and I give my all, good things will happen."

Asked if he would consider a return to Barca one day, he said: "I'm focused on the present and in the future you never know. We all like to play and feel valued. I feel valued here."

08.43 BST: Bayer Leverkusen are considering sacking manager Gerardo Seoane and are looking at appointing Xabi Alonso as his replacement, sources have told ESPN's Alex Kirkland and Rodrigo Faez.

Seoane will be in charge for Leverkusen's Champions League Group B game with FC Porto on Tuesday, but his future is uncertain after a poor start to the Bundesliga season with the club sitting 17th after picking up five points from eight games.

Alonso has been out of work since leaving Real Sociedad B in May after a successful three years in charge. Sources told ESPN that he would welcome the challenge of turning around Leverkusen's season.

Seoane managed Leverkusen to a third-place finish in the Bundesliga in his debut campaign last year, qualifying for the Champions League, but they have struggled so far this season.

Sources told ESPN that Alonso has emerged as a leading candidate to replace Seoane over the last week.

Germany's Sport1 reported that Leverkusen had contacted Thomas Tuchel, who was sacked by Chelsea last month, but the former Borussia Dortmund coach turned down the approach.

08.00 BST: Manchester United are braced for Cristiano Ronaldo to again attempt to leave the club in January if the striker cannot win back his place in Erik ten Hag's team, sources have told ESPN's Rob Dawson.

Ronaldo, 37, was an unused substitute for the 6-3 defeat at Manchester City and has not started a Premier League game since the 4-0 defeat to Brentford in August.

He was keen to leave Old Trafford in the summer, and United are aware that he could look to move in January in a bid to find regular first-team football.

UEFA rules would allow Ronaldo to sign for a team in the Champions League in January and play in the knockout rounds in the new year despite having made two appearances for United in the Europa League this season.

Sources have told ESPN that Ronaldo's attitude to training and games has been exemplary since it became clear he would have to stay beyond the transfer deadline, but he is desperate to make the most of his last years at the top.

He has scored one goal in eight games this season and has fallen behind Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial in the pecking order.

play
1:41

Why Barca's tactics cost them in their defeat vs. Inter

Ale Moreno breaks down Barcelona's 1-0 loss against Inter, leaving them in jeopardy of missing the UCL knockout stage.

PAPER GOSSIP

- Discussions regarding a potential swap deal between AC Milan and Chelsea for Rafael Leao could take place, according to Calciomercato. The Rossoneri are interested in both Christian Pulisic and Callum Hudson-Odoi, but it is reported that they would also want an €90m fee included as part of a deal to send Leao to Stamford Bridge. Leao, 23, has contributed to eight goals in seven Serie A appearances this season, and was on the radar of the Premier League side towards the end of the summer transfer window.

- AS Roma are confident of signing Nicolo Zaniolo to a new long-term deal, reveals Gazzetta dello Sport. Interest in the 23-year-old attacking midfielder has seen Jose Mourinho's side move quickly to secure Zaniolo's future. It is reporterd that they are now close to reaching full agreement over a new five-year deal that will see the player earn €4m-per-season until 2027.

- The race is heating up for Ajax Amsterdam star Mohammed Kudus, according to Bild. Dortmund, Tottenham Hotspur and Everton have all been linked with the 22-year-old forward, who has been in impressive form this season. Kudus has scored seven goals in five starts in the Eredivisie and Champions League, and could be available for a transfer fee of around €10m.

- Gael Kakuta is set to make a switch to Amiens, understands Radio France. The 31-year-old Lens winger has found it difficult to garner regular first-team minutes this season, having made just three appearances across all competitions. Kakuta is reported to have already reached an agreement with the Ligue 2 club, where he previously enjoyed a successful spell in the 2019-20 Ligue 1 campaign.

- Victor Wanyama will leave Major League Soccer side CF Montreal at the end of the season, reports MLSsoccer.com's Tom Bogert. The former Tottenham midfielder has been a key contributor for the Canadian side since joining in 2019.