2017/18 Scottish Cup, Quarter-finals
  • Jason Cummings (16', 21', 75')
  • Aaron Muirhead (44' OG, 44' OG)
  • Aaron Muirhead (20')

Jason Cummings' hat trick seals easy win for Rangers vs. Falkirk

Jason Cummings scored a hat trick as Rangers booked their place in the Scottish Cup semifinals with a 4-1 romp over Falkirk at Ibrox.

Cummings won the trophy with Hibernian two years ago and ensured his new side will return to Hampden by claiming the match ball with his first senior treble.

Aaron Muirhead had briefly drawn Falkirk level after Cummings' opener, but it was his mistake just before halftime that ended their hopes of reaching the last four as he put through his own net.

With Jamie Murphy out injured, Cummings was given his chance to stake a claim ahead of next week's Old Firm clash, and Bruno Alves was also making his first start since limping off against Celtic before the new year.

It took just 16 minutes for Cummings to make his mark. Both he and Josh Windass made the same run in behind as Daniel Candeias fed the ball through, but it was Cummings who collected.

Space was opened up for him as Windass peeled off to the back post and Cummings took the invitation to drive on before flashing the ball past Robbie Thomson from a tight angle.

Falkirk responded well as Craig Sibbald drove wide from 20 yards out, but that warning was not heeded by Rangers as Falkirk levelled through Muirhead on 20 minutes.

Muirhead deflected Sibbald's strike past Jak Alnwick after appearing to aim a punch at David Bates' chest as the teams waited for Louis Longridge to deliver a free kick from out wide.

Rangers quickly regained control and they were back in front within 60 seconds as Andy Halliday fired in a cross from the left for Cummings, who sorted his feet well before prodding past Thomson.

And while Longridge's decent free kick attempt was tipped over by Alnwick, Muirhead gave Rangers their third.

James Tavernier sent Candeias down the line after taking a quick free kick, and Candeias swung his low cross towards the near post. Alfredo Morelos could not connect with his attempted back-flick but the ball bounced in off Muirhead.

Cummings was denied 10 minutes after the restart as he was foiled by a brave block from Peter Grant, and he could not beat Thomson after being put through by Sean Goss.

Morelos should have extended Rangers' lead with 18 minutes left but was prevented by another Thomson block.

But Cummings did grab his third on 76 minutes as he followed in to bury the ball home after the luckless Morelos had seen another low drive parried by the visitors' stopper.

There was even time for Morelos to have one more failed attempt as he raced through on goal, only to this time see Thomson push the ball away as he tried to round the keeper.