2019-20 Australian A League, Regular Season
  • George Blackwood (30')
  • James Troisi (83')
  • Matthew Millar (48')

Adelaide United edge past Newcastle Jets in sweltering heat

A winner in the final 10 minutes secured Adelaide United a fortunate 2-1 A-League win over Newcastle in oppressive conditions at Coopers Stadium.

The temperature hovered around 38 degrees Celcius on Sunday for the 4:30 p.m. kickoff but Newcastle adjusted better and were on top from the outset. The Jets had the first chance after just three minutes when Ben Kantarovski's header forced a superb reflex save from Paul Izzo after a perfect free kick from Dimi Petratos.

Both sides were rewarded for their impressive opening with the first of two drinks breaks on the quarter-hour and, soon after play resumed, Angus Thurgate rattled the Reds' post from a tight angle.

The Jets continued to pepper Adelaide's goal with half chances and should've broken the deadlock just before the half-hour. Steven Ugarkovic drove through the Reds' defence, slamming his shot onto the crossbar with the rebound falling for Petratos, whose shot was blocked by some desperate Adelaide defending. Thurgate reacted quickest and shot from five metres but Izzo managed to get down low to miraculously keep the shot out.

Newcastle's missed opportunities were costly as Adelaide took the lead a minute later via George Blackwood. Young gun Al Hassan Toure beat his defender on the edge of the area and, with close control, dribbled along the sideline before supplying the ideal cut-back for Blackwood to tap into the unguarded net.

The Jets looked to have genuine claims for a penalty close to half-time when Thurgate broke through Adelaide's defence and seemed to have been brought down by Izzo, but it was given the all clear.

Newcastle eventually were able to get on the scoresheet two minutes into the second half thanks to a powerful header from Matt Millar, who rose highest to meet a corner from Petratos.

Adelaide struggled to contain the visitors and had their keeper to thank for keeping the scores level. Izzo parried away a thundering drive from Millar on 53 minutes before another stunning reflex save kept out Nick Fitzgerald who latched onto a cross from Jason Hoffman after a quick counter.

On 83 minutes, Adelaide made the visitors pay for their wasted chances for a second time. James Troisi scored his first A-League goal for the Reds, stealing through Newcastle's penalty area and slipping one past the onrushing Glen Moss.