Man City extend winning run to 20 games with West Ham victory

Manchester City extended their record-breaking winning run in the Premier League to 20 games as they beat top four contenders West Ham United 2-1 at the Etihad on Saturday.

Ruben Dias scored his first City goal in 32 games before John Stones wrapped up the game in the second half.

- ESPN Notebook: Man City searching for another striker

- Dawson: Man City's quadruple quest charges on 

West Ham broke City's streak of seven consecutive clean sheets at home in all competitions when Michail Antonio scored just before half-time.

"It was really difficult. They have the physicality," City manager Pep Guardiola said after the game.

"After 10-15 minutes today we realise we are not going to paint anything beautiful. Second half we were much better than the first half. When you play a lot of games, in the league and then the Champions League, this is normal.

"We were lucky to get all three points. The mathematics matter at the end of the season."

It took City 30 minutes to score their first against a well set up West Ham side.

Kevin De Bruyne struck a cross into the box which Dias got his head to and guided past Darren Randolph in the West Ham goal.

The cross marked De Bruyne's 11th Premier League assist which ties him with Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Kane for most assists.

The goal added fire to Guardiola's side but West Ham continued to seek their opener which they found through Antonio on 43 minutes.

Manchester City's Ruben Dias celebrates scoring his first goal for the club.
Matt McNulty - Manchester City/Manchester City FC via Getty Images

City gave Vladimir Coufal too much space who found recent signing Jesse Lingard. His shot was just going wide but Antonio was there to poke it in past Ederson.

The goal was the first City have conceded at home since Dec. 15 when they played West Bromwich Albion.

West Ham had a VAR review three minutes into the second half when Lingard went down on the edge of the area. However, replays showed that Fernandinho timed his tackle well and referee Michael Oliver waved away West Ham's calls for a penalty.

David Moyes' side were left rueing their missed chances and lack of possession in the second half when City scored their second of the day.

Riyad Mahrez jinked and dodged around the West Ham defence just inside the penalty box before driving a low, hard cross to Stones who just had to steer it towards the goal.

"A lot of credit must go to West Ham," Stones said after the game.

"We knew what they would do. How they have been playing and their position speaks for itself. All credit. We had to fight them to the last few minutes. We were a bit deflated at half-time.

"We weren't at our free-flowing best as we have been. But that is down to how they set up. West Ham showed great character in the second half."