The winter transfer window is closed, but now it's time to look ahead to the summer! Here are the new rumours floating around Europe's big leagues and beyond.
TOP STORY: Man United and Liverpool battle for Sancho, Werner
Manchester United might not be giving Liverpool much of a fight for the Premier League title, but they will certainly push them hard for new players in the transfer market this summer.
The Daily Express claims that the two clubs are going head-to-head over the pursuit of Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho, who would cost in the region of £100m, while they are also both keen to sign RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner.
Liverpool are front of the queue for Werner, though, and the player reportedly unfollowed Leipzig on Twitter after a social media image of him celebrating was used to troll the Reds after they lost to Watford at the weekend.
This one is going to run all the way to summer. And of course Real Madrid and PSG are also going to get in on the act too, says the Mirror.
21.26 GMT: Everton centre-back Mason Holgate has signed a new five-year contract with the Merseyside club, so that will surely put an end to the reports of Manchester City's interest in the 23-year-old, right?
📝 | Mason Holgate has signed a new five-year deal! #EFC 🔵— Everton (@Everton) March 3, 2020
20.09 GMT: Chris Smalling has been outstanding on loan at Roma this season, and the Giallorossi have reportedly long been hopeful of making that deal permanent, but Tuttosport reports that Tottenham have entered the fray in hopes of taking the 30-year-old from the Italian capital to the English.
18.42 GMT: Inter have already added a host of Premier League talents since last summer -- Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Ashley Young, Christian Eriksen and Victor Moses -- and Calciomercato writes that the Nerazzurri have identified a further three players plying their trade in England's top flight to bring to the San Siro this summer: Manchester United starlet Tahith Chong, Tottenham centre-back Jan Vertonghen and Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Chelsea spent a world-record £71.6m on Kepa Arrizabalaga in 2018, but the Spaniard hasn't played since Jan. 21 and has been replaced by 38-year-old Willy Caballero.
Donnarumma, 21, is viewed as the best young goalkeeper in world football and he may choose to move on from Milan if they fail to seal Champions League next season -- a scenario which looks likely given they sit seventh in the table.
Longstaff, 22, had been linked with United as the club seek to strengthen the centre of their midfield. However, Newcastle's £50m valuation has proved to be a stumbling block and United aren't willing to pay such an amount, despite the futures of Paul Pogba and Nemanja Matic very much uncertain.
"Obviously, growing up in London, it is one of my dreams to play in the Premier League," he said. "Hopefully, in the future, that opportunity comes. My team is Arsenal, so hopefully one day I will get the opportunity to play for them. If not, then I will keep supporting them."
15.09 GMT: Tottenham fans won't want to hear this, but Jose Mourinho reckons the seventh-placed team in the Premier League don't need major changes in the transfer market this summer.
"There will not be massive changes," he said. "First of all, because that is not what we need, secondly because that is not the profile of the club and thirdly because of what the market is.
"Year after year after year it's more difficult so I'm not thinking about an overhaul at the moment. But of course we need to make our squad better."
14.26 GMT: Athletic Bilbao have a tough time in the transfer market as they choose to only sign players of Basque origin.
Higuain, 32, was born in France and plays for Argentina, while he has only scored eight goals in 32 games for Juve this season and could be keen to move on in the summer.
13.35 GMT: Spanish outlet Cadena Sar reports that Liverpool want Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey.
Partey, 26, was being linked to Arsenal only last week but now the Anfield club are getting involved. It helps, of course, that Partey has a €50m release clause and is in negotiations over a new contract.
12.43 GMT: Manchester City have already announced the signing of 17-year-old right-back Yan Couto -- read all about him here -- but are the club set to sign another defender?
Koulibaly, 28, would cost €100m and the report states he prefers to move to PSG.
11.45 GMT: Watford's Ismaila Sarr downed Liverpool, but should the top Premier League clubs be on alert for him?
10.49 GMT: Allan Saint-Maximin has reportedly fallen out with Newcastle manager Steve Bruce and could leave the club in the summer, says the
"Yes. Every player here is in control of their destiny in terms of how they play and how they train," he told a news conference yesterday, "This is Chelsea and we're trying to close the gap to the top. There's nobody who can be relaxed or loose, we're pushing every day. Of course in the summer we look at the group as a whole but we're not looking beyond the game tomorrow night."
09.38 GMT: Mundo Deportivo claims Barcelona want to sign Valencia midfielder Ferran Torres. The Spain U21 international is out of contract in 2021 and reports over the weekend in the Valencia press suggested Torres has hinted he does not want to extend his terms.
Barca have a good relationship with the player's agency, Leaderbrock Sports, who helped them sign Pedri from Las Palmas, and could test the waters this summer with a bid for Torres of around €35m.
Torres, 20, could be one of the four signings SPORT says Barca are planning this postseason. Lionel Messi said recently the team, in its current state, is not good enough to win the Champions League and the Catalans want to build a competitive team around him to ensure he doesn't walk away for free at the end of the campaign, as a clause in his contract would allow him to.
Chile goalkeeper Bravo, who helped City win their third successive Carabao Cup at the weekend after a 2-1 Wembley win against Aston Villa, wants to leave the Etihad Stadium at the end of the season in order to secure regular football elsewhere.
And despite being a strong supporter of the former Barcelona keeper since his arrival from Camp Nou in 2016, City manager Pep Guardiola is prepared to let Bravo move on in order to promote USA international Zack Steffen following his loan spell this season with German club Fortuna Dusseldorf.
While City are aware of wider interest in Bravo, there are attempts to persuade him to join NYCFC -- City's sister club within the City Football Group -- when his time at the Etihad comes to an end.
And while Ederson will remain the No. 1, the emergence of Steffen -- a $7m signing from Columbus Crew last July -- and Kosovo keeper Ari Mujic, who is on loan at Nottingham Forest, has prompted Guardiola to sanction the departure of Bravo this summer.
08.00 GMT: As mentioned below in Paper Talk, Leicester City defender Ben Chilwell is one of the names linked with a summer move to Chelsea.
Taylor, 26, has made more than 60 Premier League appearances for the Clarets since joining them from Leeds United in 2017.
The Times adds that Rodgers has been a long-term admirer of Taylor, and had identified him as a potential signing during his in charge at Celtic.
PAPER TALK (by Nick Judd)
Barca offer €70m, two players for Inter's Lautaro Martinez
Barcelona are keen to freshen up their attacking options in the summer and top of the list continues to be Inter striker Lautaro Martinez.
Spanish title Sport suggests that the Catalan club, reeling after their defeat against rivals Real Madrid at the weekend, have already offered Inter €70 million plus two players in an effort to land their man.
Lautaro's contract is such that he could leave the Italian capital between July 1 and July 15, but it would cost the buying club a whopping €111m to secure his services. That price could scare off Barca, and many others, but the Blaugrana hope the offer of two players could help soften the deal.
Lautaro could double his annual salary if he moves to Camp Nou, but Barca will face stiff opposition for his services from their rivals in Madrid. The Argentine would bolster a Barca attack that has ageing Luis Suarez and struggling Antoine Griezmann in their ranks.
Chelsea target Telles turns down Porto contract
Telles' deal finishes in 2021, which means if he doesn't extend his stay Porto will look to cash in this summer to prevent him leaving on a free transfer. Chelsea manager Frank Lampard has made no secret of the fact that he's planning a big overhaul in the summer and a left-back is high on his list.
Chelsea have been linked with Leicester City full-back Ben Chilwell since last summer, but Telles could be a cheaper option. The Brazilian can play anywhere on the left-hand side but this season he's scored eight goals and provided five assists from left-back.
Telles has previously played for Inter Milan, Galatasaray and Gremio.
- Italian outlet Tuttosport believes Juventus have stepped up their interest in wantaway Manchester United star Paul Pogba. It suggests the two clubs have made contact and are even at the stage where they're discussing contract talks. That's in slight contrast to what some of the English titles have been reporting today, as seen here earlier, as they suggest that Pogba has been impressed by new boy Bruno Fernandes, and wants to play alongside him.
- The Express seem to think Arsenal right-back Ainsley Maitland-Niles could be off to new pastures this summer. They base this on the fact that Mikel Arteta opted to play Sokratis Papastathopoulos in the right-back position instead of Maitland-Niles in the Gunners' 2-0 FA Cup win against Portsmouth. Sokratis justified his manager's decision by scoring, but the Express could have a point. Maitland-Niles has been left out of Arsenal's 18-man matchday squad in three of the last four Premier League matches.