Baroka back to winning ways as SuperSport suffer more misery

Lucky Nguzana of Baroka FC Aubrey Kgakatsi /BackpagePix

Baroka FC claimed a first Premier League win in eight games when they defeated SuperSport United 3-1 at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Sunday to move to fourth on the table and possibly kill off their opponents' title hopes.

Baroka are six points behind runaway leaders Mamelodi Sundowns, but have played two games more. SuperSport are now 13 points behind their Tshwane rivals, but do still have three games in hand.

They have just a single win in their last seven games though and look fatigued and devoid of ideas at present.

Baroka hit the front just past the half-hour mark when Lucky Nguzana found space in the penalty-box and drilled the ball low past SuperSport keeper Reyaad Pieterse. It was his first goal since joining the club at the start of the season.

Nigerian defender Azubuike Egwuekwe netted his second goal in as many games for the visitors to draw them level as he headed Thuso Phala's corner into the back of the net.

SuperSport looked on top at that stage and having earlier struck the post, striker Bradley Grobler was denied what he thought was a penalty when he was bundled over the box.

However, former SuperSport midfielder Letladi Madubanya had Baroka back in front when he beat Pieterse to the ball from Richard Matloga's free kick and headed home.

None of the SuperSport defender had tracked his run and the 33-year-old, who has started every game for his club this season, profited from their lapse in concentration.

The points were made safe in injury-time as Zimbabwe international Talent Chawapiwa twisted and turned in the box, before laying on a pass for Mduduzi Mdatsene to score his first ever PSL goal.

In the other game played on Sunday, Lamontville Golden Arrows and Maritzburg United played to a 0-0 draw in Durban. The result leaves them in 10th and ninth position on the table respectively.

There are still two more games to play before the league closes for the festive season as Mamelodi Sundowns entertain Cape Town City on Tuesday and SuperSport travel to Bloemfontein Celtic the following day.

The league will then resume on January 5.