Eight players ejected after TCU-George Washington skirmish

Eight ejected after punches thrown between George Washington, TCU (1:05)

TCU's Bella Cravens and George Washington's Essence Brown exchange punches which leads to eight ejections in the Horned Frogs' win. (1:05)

Eight players were ejected after an on-court skirmish broke out during Monday's matchup between TCU and George Washington in Fort Worth, Texas.

Five players from GW and three from TCU were tossed following an incident that was primarily between the Colonials' Essence Brown and the Horned Frogs' Bella Cravens in front of the Colonials' bench with 5:51 remaining in the first half.

"We never want to be a part of anything like that," TCU coach Raegan Pebley told reporters in her postgame news conference. "It doesn't matter to me one bit who started it, who said what. It doesn't matter. ... I definitely know that we have, as do they, high-character kids that the moment got away from all of them."

The Atlantic-10 and Big 12 have yet to comment, including on any forthcoming potential suspensions for involved players.

The conflict appeared to begin when Brown pulled Cravens' hair as she attempted to collect a rebound, though it is unclear whether it was intentional or Brown was just trying to get the ball. Cravens reached back, appearing to try to smack Brown, before the two got into it, throwing fists at one another while teammates attempted to intervene and separate them.

"I honestly didn't see the initial moment, so I can't really say what it was," Pebley said. "What my team is hearing is, it doesn't matter who started it, no matter what happened. The way to respond, that's a life lesson. You have to respond the correct way. You can control that element, and that is what I know for sure we did not do well."

Brown and Cravens were ultimately ejected, as were GW's Nya Robertson, Jayla Thornton, Caia Loving and Nya Lok, who was not in the game at the time. Also ejected were TCU's Lucy Ibeh and Roxane Makolo.

The game broadcast showed the ejected TCU players apologizing to GW coach Caroline McCombs before leaving the floor.

"Yesterday's incident was obviously challenging and unfortunate for our student-athletes and coaches, and we are working with the necessary parties on the path forward," George Washington athletics said in a statement to ESPN.

Both teams took technical free throws once play resumed, and TCU went on to win, 70-58.

"I thought the officials ... did a really, really good job of managing it, not just in the moment, but throughout the game as well," Pebley said.